Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy at work thats having trouble with his 2001 S-10. Its leaking oil really bad, like a quart a day. He's not sure whats wrong or where its leaking. He has the "2200 SFI" - the 2.2 like in the older cavaliers, the 115HP.

I had a cobalt that was totalled in September, but the engine still runs and starts fine. I was wondering if my 2.2 Ecotec could fit (reasonably) in his 2001 S-10?

Theyre both 2.2L but I realize they might bolt up differently. I think my Cobalt had a 4 speed AT. Not sure if his S-10 has a 3 or 4 speed.

Thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Depends on if the crank/tranny/torque converter all line up. Mounts can always be fabbed, wiring harness and a tune would do it. The exhaust would have to be fabbed. He's probably leaking oil out of the piston rings or the valve seals though...and those would be easier to replace than trying to fab an engine into ir

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Won't work. Bellhousing is different for the old 2.2. Way easier just to drop in another old style 2.2

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
When you change the motor seriously look at the throw out bearing, they're prone to bearing failures and when they let go they just explode.

The quick disconnects almost never work so if you need to change it cut the line about 3" back and use a compression union to hook it back up. Unless the quick disconnect works.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks . . . he's done a lot to this engine, and keeps having trouble with it. Ill tell him it would be easier to drop another Identical engine in it. I guess when I was asking, I meant to say I was giving him the engine and transmission together . . .if that changes anything.

I would love to have my old cobalt engine running on the road again! *sigh*

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
He's rwd, I don't know how you could do that except make an adapter plate to bolt his trans to your motor. Your trans will be useless for him

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohh.. I guess the trans is different too... I figured it was the same setup, only turn the engine/tranny. I had a 99 2.2 Cavalier, one of my friends had a 99 2.2 S-10.... I always thought their trannys and motor were ID, just truck was turned to make if rwd ... Guess trans are different...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.