Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just too let everyone know i did a lot of reading before posting this.
i have a automatic 2.2L sedan and i cant seem to find a stright answer i understand that more flow is better but i mean which headers are just over priced and what headers are the best performing for the cost? I have purchased a GMPP perfomance exhaust and i am looking for header and decent downpipe that will give me the most performance for my buck i really have no price limitations, just want the best and want it done with top parts the first time. I hear the GMPP exhaust manifold is no better then stock from the posts i have been reading. Also i hear the pacesetter 4-2-1 header is ok but then i see the price and compare it to others and see a major price difference. And wonder is it just cause the name. I'm sure i am making this alot harder then what it really is making a decision like this. But any insight would be greatly appricated.

·
Registered
265 Posts
There's nothing unusual about your findings. Pacesetter is budget, it's no lie. You next to always get what you pay for, if you don't have price limitations, why go cheap? Every one has to pay to go fast...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
673 Posts
Just some over all advice since you are kind of new to the car game, you ALWAYS get what you pay for when it comes to car modding. The expression "you gotta pay to play" comes to mind first in my head. Quality parts will cost you but they will be worth it. Especially when it comes to exhaust components this is important because most of your exhaust is exposed to the elements and there for a cheap component will fail sooner then a well made one.

As for your exhaust set up, you've got it right. Also keep in mind bigger is not always better with exhaust and you need to match the size to your application (NA/FI). Also take future mods into consideration. It's why planning your mod path out in advance will not only save you some headaches, but most often money in the future.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont see my self doing much more then in-take header and CAI, but if i was to turbo in the future would this vibrant header and dp with gmpp perfomance exhasut support that? i'm pretty sure the vibrant header and dp will bolt right up to my set up with out any fabercation.. i'm not sure but does any one know if this vibrant header come with a dp and cat?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not sure what it comes with as I've yet to get into doing this stuff myself. But I can tell you that if you plan on going forced induction (turbo) you're going to need to go bigger on the piping, probably about 3". But until you do turbo it, you need to keep your pipe between 2.25" and 2.5"... 3" is just too large for an N/A application. So to answer your question, GMPP exhaust is too small for turbo really... I don't know about the vibrant parts though...

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you went turbo your entire exhaust system would be set up differently so if that's something you might do in the future just wait on exhaust.

However it sounds like that's a long shot so you'd be fine to upgrade the exhaust. I personally like the 2.25 inch size on NA 4 banger applications because it prevents major shifting of the power band upwards and it doesn't effect the torque band much. When you start going with bigger piping you are flowing more air which will result in a little more horsepower, higher in the rpm range, but will sacrifice torque everywhere in the rpm range.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I highly doubt i am going turbo since this is my everyday car. but i will be adding the 2.4 intake manifold with injen CAI for sure. that will probly be it for perfomance mods. and definitly lowering her with prokit springs and koni struts.

·
Registered
869 Posts
understandable But :) also i am kinda new to the car thing i finally can afford to do things to my car :) but i wanna try to keep is trouble free. as for hi-flow cat and DP what ya think of this

Vibrant Stainless Steel Header Chevrolet Cobalt 2.0/2.2/2.4L 2005-08 - NOW IN STOCK!!! - Exhaust & Header - Turbo Tech Racing, LLC
That seems like a good deal since it comes with a dp and high flow cat. In most every situation involving performance parts the more you pay the better product you get.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
just to clear up your first post. the extrude honed gm exhaust manifold is def worth it over the stock one. it made noticeable difference in my car to go along with my exhaust system. and just looking at my stock one and the extrude one side by side you can tell a huge difference

just thought youd like to keep that in mind for another option

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
good info man ^^^

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do i have to worry about CEL's due to the the hi flow cat?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so i got a deal for gmpp intake and exhaust off a local guy. my car seems to have decent pickup now and runs smoother thru shifting. but my exhaust is actully kinda quiet. you dont hear it till 3000rpm then it dies down around 4000 as it shifts. i should really put a smaller tip on it i'll take a few pics and sound clips.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you were looking at the 199 dollar pacesetter header then that isn't really worth it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i was thinking about the vibrant header hiflow cat and DP

·
Registered
84 Posts
if your looking for the best header and down pipe combo and have no price limit. i suggest the weapon R race headers. its a 4-2-1 pipe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.