Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine with a Cobalt SS/SC has aftermarket header and downpipe and is giving me his stock ones. If I install them will I get a CEL/SES?

I looked for a similiar thread but couldn't find one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is it still compatible being that the LAP has SAI?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the SAI connect to the manifold or something? I'm new to the LAP motor and now real familiar with it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Does the SAI connect to the manifold or something? I'm new to the LAP motor and now real familiar with it.
Yes, SAI is integrated with the exhaust manifold. SAI equipped engines have a welded steel exhaust manifold/header that the SAI valve bolts on top of.

You're in GA and shouldn't have SAI unless you were lucky enough to get one that had it. Just look at your exhaust manifold...if it is cast iron and no valve assembly sitting on top of it you don't have SAI.

Look to at where your 1st HO2S -oxygen sensor- is located -- probably in the down pipe. The SS (2.0 SC and 2.4) HO2S is located in the manifold.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, looks like I have a cast manifold. Also, the LSJ manifold that my friend gave me does not have an O2 hole in it. Only has a hole in the downpipe. I can take a pic of it if need be.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Right - there shouldn't be an O2 hole in the manifold.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So my 2.2 and the LSJ both only have one 02 hole, right? I won't have an extra hole or an extra 02 sensor without a hole, right?

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Your manifold shouldn't have any O2 bungs - the downpipe houses the O2...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I meant the downpipe. My 2.2 has 2 02 sensors in the downpipe but the LSJ one only has 1. Am I not able to use the LSJ downpipe? Do I have to have another 02 sensor hole put in the downpipe? Will this effect my emissions tests?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
No, I meant the downpipe. My 2.2 has 2 02 sensors in the downpipe but the LSJ one only has 1. Am I not able to use the LSJ downpipe? Do I have to have another 02 sensor hole put in the downpipe? Will this effect my emissions tests?
If the "LSJ" exhaust manifold you have DOES NOT have an O2 sensor bung in it -- IT IS NOT an LSJ exhaust Manifold. It is probably an 07+ 2.2 Exhaust Manifold. The LSJ (2.0 SC) AND LE5 (2.4L) exhaust manifolds have an O2 sensor at the bottom of the exhaust manifold AND an O2 sensor after the CAT in the DP -- LSJ and LE5 exhaust manifold is THE same manifold.

Your 2.2 has two O2 sensors in the DP and no O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold -- all 07+ 2.2s (non SAI) are that way. 05 and 06 Cobalt 2.2s (L-61 non SAI) have an O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold like the LSJ and LE5 (and Extrude-Honed Manifold too).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I found the 02 hole in the LSJ manifold. I've got the 2.2 manifold and downpipe off the car but now I can't get the 02 sensors out of the 2.2 downpipe. They turn so far then stop. Is there a trick?

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

LMAO, I got them off. Just stuck on.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Yeah, I found the 02 hole in the LSJ manifold. I've got the 2.2 manifold and downpipe off the car but now I can't get the 02 sensors out of the 2.2 downpipe. They turn so far then stop. Is there a trick?

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

LMAO, I got them off. Just stuck on.
That sounds better!!

PLEASE post pics of the exhaust manifolds side-by-side (outlet holes, inlet holes, shapes, etc) so everyone can see the differences...and the same with the DPs.

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The manifold and downpipe are already installed. The inlets and outlet look to be the same size. The manifold gasket on the 2.2 has bigger inlet holes then the lsj gasket. Also, the lsj downpipe seems to be shorter then the 2.2 one. My tip doesn't stick out as far. I also have a 2.5 inch catback. Anyone know what kinda gains I should be getting?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are some pics of the stock 2.2 manifold and downpipe:

Where the 02 sensor hole is on the LSJ manifold

The outlet port

Inlet port

2.2 downpipe (LSJ has 1 catalytic converter and one 02 sensor hole)

Outlet port of downpipe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.