Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice for making up to 180 hp on my 2.2 ltr lt not looking for negative comments saying ‘GeT aN sS’ if I wanted one I’d buy one rn but for now I have my lt and wanna learn how to drive properly on lower hp before jumping into a supercharged manual thanks and look forward to some good advice kms is at 138900

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you’ve got the 05-06 2.2, you can do any and all bolt ons. But the lack of ability to tune the pcm is where it’s going to hold you back. From what I’ve seen others do, you are lucky to make 25hp over stock with header, cat back exhaust, 2.4 intake manifold. If you’re lucky enough to have the 07-10 2.2, you can go a little more wild and if you’ve got the money to blow, you can get it properly tuned to unlock the power your bolt ons open the engine up to make. In the even tuning is possible, maybe some slightly higher flowing injectors.

I would probably go for a mid length header and a nice cat back. Maybe something not so buzzy though, so it’ll need at least two resonators. They seem to do good with 2.25 inch pipe so you don’t lose all of the lower rpm power. You will however lose lower end power with most mods like a larger diameter exhaust and the 2.4 intake. But will gain mid to high rpm power. Which is fairly normal for a 4 cylinder. Check out the ZZP headers, they have 3 different lengths. A short header that’s basically a step up from the stock manifold. The mid length is good for a n/a engine. The long tube is probably only going to be good if your just running the engine at high rpms or have the supercharger.

Probably the best mods will be to your suspension. There’s a lot offered in terms of lowering springs. FE5 suspension parts can be installed on the FE1 cars so the interchangeability is really nice. Not super expensive to do either.

I think someone asks about the same question every few months. So this has definitely been asked the same way many times. Almost word for word.

If we knew what year the car is that’d be nice to know. And if it’s a coupe or sedan.

I’ve got the ‘06 LT sedan. It’s been a great little cheap car. I have done lots of maintenance to make it a reliable and comfortable runner. Still needs cosmetic work. About to hit 140,000 miles and may want to do the timing and balance shaft chain sets along with the water pump. So far hasn’t given me any problems. Some lowering springs (but not too low), FE5 shocks and struts, aluminum front lower control arms, and maybe some wheels are what I’d like to do soon.

·
Say What again!
6,324 Posts
Need some advice for making up to 180 hp on my 2.2 ltr lt not looking for negative comments saying ‘GeT aN sS’
This isn't the other site, though surprisingly nobody ever said that during the entirety of my SC swap 12 years ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you’ve got the 05-06 2.2, you can do any and all bolt ons. But the lack of ability to tune the pcm is where it’s going to hold you back. From what I’ve seen others do, you are lucky to make 25hp over stock with header, cat back exhaust, 2.4 intake manifold. If you’re lucky enough to have the 07-10 2.2, you can go a little more wild and if you’ve got the money to blow, you can get it properly tuned to unlock the power your bolt ons open the engine up to make. In the even tuning is possible, maybe some slightly higher flowing injectors.

I would probably go for a mid length header and a nice cat back. Maybe something not so buzzy though, so it’ll need at least two resonators. They seem to do good with 2.25 inch pipe so you don’t lose all of the lower rpm power. You will however lose lower end power with most mods like a larger diameter exhaust and the 2.4 intake. But will gain mid to high rpm power. Which is fairly normal for a 4 cylinder. Check out the ZZP headers, they have 3 different lengths. A short header that’s basically a step up from the stock manifold. The mid length is good for a n/a engine. The long tube is probably only going to be good if your just running the engine at high rpms or have the supercharger.

Probably the best mods will be to your suspension. There’s a lot offered in terms of lowering springs. FE5 suspension parts can be installed on the FE1 cars so the interchangeability is really nice. Not super expensive to do either.

I think someone asks about the same question every few months. So this has definitely been asked the same way many times. Almost word for word.

If we knew what year the car is that’d be nice to know. And if it’s a coupe or sedan.

I’ve got the ‘06 LT sedan. It’s been a great little cheap car. I have done lots of maintenance to make it a reliable and comfortable runner. Still needs cosmetic work. About to hit 140,000 miles and may want to do the timing and balance shaft chain sets along with the water pump. So far hasn’t given me any problems. Some lowering springs (but not too low), FE5 shocks and struts, aluminum front lower control arms, and maybe some wheels are what I’d like to do soon.
Car is in fact an 07 2.2 and it’s a coupe

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I have a 2009 cobalt lt 5spd 145400 mi. An would love to know what I could do to get at least an extra little hp. So if y’all could help me out as well that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
559 Posts
For your 07-08s Besides the EZ bolt on FE5 struts fore and aft, FE5 front sway bar, FE5 springs, if you want, and Forged Aluminum lower control arms, your Cobalt will be able to use the ~150hp it has much better.
For more power, you must burn more fuel.
That also includes getting more O2 into the engine...... let it breath!

EZ boltons start with cold air intake (less intake air flow resistance), a larger internal diameter throttle body ( from a 2.4L) and open up the exhaust.
Without reprogramming the “ECU” ( tune), larger / higher flow injectors will not do much. The larger diameter exhaust and better intake and exhaust manafolds ( headers ) are a necessary motherhood statement.

·
Say What again!
6,324 Posts
For your 07-08s Besides the EZ bolt on FE5 struts fore and aft, FE5 front sway bar, FE5 springs, if you want, and Forged Aluminum lower control arms, your Cobalt will be able to use the ~150hp it has much better.
For more power, you must burn more fuel.
That also includes getting more O2 into the engine...... let it breath!

EZ boltons start with cold air intake (less intake air flow resistance), a larger internal diameter throttle body ( from a 2.4L) and open up the exhaust.
Without reprogramming the “ECU” ( tune), larger / higher flow injectors will not do much. The larger diameter exhaust and better intake and exhaust manafolds ( headers ) are a necessary motherhood statement.
Worth mentioning: you'll want/need a tune for the 2.4L throttle body. You won't need larger injectors unless you're running every bolt on imaginable (including cams) or are boosted (which, itself, might be a better value proposition in the end). Simply having larger injectors without a need for them does nothing, except potentially give you a less stable idle. The 2.4L intake manifold is also a worth upgrade for the L61 cars to go along with the 2.4L throttle body.

Also of note, for the post two above: 2009 and 2010 Cobalts run the 2.2L LAP, which does not benefit from the 2.4L intake manifold, as they basically run the same one as the LE5.

Reactions: 1966tbird

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Car is an 07

1 - 11 of 11 Posts