Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I noticed that my motor has what looks like is leaking oil or something from the top of the motor. Is this normal? Car doesnt use any oil, has 64k on it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Did you get you oil changed at a quick lube or something? maybe one of the fine workers pumped oil all ever the place.. like everyone else said.. wipe it off.. keep checking all your fluid levels and see where its coming from!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always change my own oil, havnt spilled any on this car.

Coolant is orange not green.

Ill wipe it off and see what happens. I only have 15k left before my warranty is up so I am going to watch this very carefully.

Thanks for the help :)

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
The only thing I can think of that's green in the cars is the dye in the refrigerant.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
nascarnate326 – I was just curious if you’ve still noticed the oil leaking in your Cobalt after you wiped away what was in the picture. Has your dealer had any insight as to what might be going on?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nascarnate326 – I was just curious if you’ve still noticed the oil leaking in your Cobalt after you wiped away what was in the picture. Has your dealer had any insight as to what might be going on?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Keeps coming back, dealer has no idea. Fluids are always fine so I'm just not worrying abot it right now. At this point, it's the least of my problems.

·
Registered
94 Posts
hahaha yes someone else with this damn problem i still have yet to figure out where its coming from.... my guess was oil filter compartment.

·
Registered
94 Posts
its funny i post this here today and then i run into mad probs that might force me to have to buy another car.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I speak as a plumber in this 1st paragraph.

I have dealt with leaks, you need to find the point where your engine is dirty and where its clean, it could be easily coming from the valve cover, this is a very easy fix, the gasket about $25 in auto part stores. (Think about gravity)

What you can do is clean all of it up and keep an eye on it, you will find the source soon, it looks high up, so it should not be that hard to find.

The coolant is not green, but could easily be green if someone had changed it. The official coolant is Prestone which is Orange/Pink colored, if that's leaking you have issues, but I doubt its that coolant does not make that kinda dirt, its usually oil.
Just clean it up and check on it, look for the highest point of leaking, then keep an eye on it. Be sure to check all you levels, coolant and oil, if you leaking something you need to make sure the levels are right, you can easily do damage to you engine.

thats the gasket leaking from that cap was used in cavys for powersteering pump
Cobalts have electric power steering, no fluid...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Original coolant is Dexcool!!!

But the pump used to be there it's now a cap with a gasket

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, first time poster. I noticed quite a bit of oil around the top of the engine right near the oil filter. I change my own oil and I think I had over-tightened the cap, thereby squeezing the gasket and letting small amounts of oil through. If anyone else has done this or has another idea of where the oil is coming from let me know.

Also: I talked to a mechanic who informed me that the block is made of components glued together, and at certain places oil can leak through the seams. His fix was to identify the specific location of the leak, cut out a diamond shape wedge from both pieces of the block, then weld the two pieces at that spot. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. No current mechanical engineering requires glue in the design!!!

Go to a self serve car wash and blast your engine bay. Check the engine bay every day for where the leak is originating and get back to us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.