Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well fellas its about that time to get my tune, but the only thing holding things back is the 2.4 T.B. upgrade cuz other than that i consider myself fully bolted (please comment if you beg to differ)

anyway, for those 2.2 balts out thee that have a 2.4 TB, ARE THERE GOOD GAINS? IS THERE A NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE? WHATS THE DIFFERENCE IN DIAMETER?

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd love to know the same thing as I'm looking into getting the 2.4 Intake Manifold and was wondering if it was worth trying to find a 2.4 TB as well because I plan on fully bolting mine too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh the intake mani is a must!!!

but im just wondering about that 2.4 TB

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have a2.4 intake manifold within the next couple days and just want to double check that TB refers to throttle body. Didnt see it in the abbreviations thread and would also like to know if this is something else to look into.
yes TB = throttle body...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I believe the 2.4 TB is 8MM larger in diameter than the 2.2 TB. You cannot just bolt the 2.4 TB to a 2.2 without tuning for it...you will go into limp mode if you just bolt it on -- because the air flow diagnostics will detect too much air flow for the position of the throttle (thinks there is a leak in the intake).

You also need to be careful in choosing the year 2.4 TB...the 06-07 2.4 TBs are the same but the 08 2.4 TB is different. Different wire connector position and numbers of pins.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I believe the 2.4 TB is 8MM larger in diameter than the 2.2 TB. You cannot just bolt the 2.4 TB to a 2.2 without tuning for it...you will go into limp mode if you just bolt it on -- because the air flow diagnostics will detect too much air flow for the position of the throttle (thinks there is a leak in the intake).

You also need to be careful in choosing the year 2.4 TB...the 06-07 2.4 TBs are the same but the 08 2.4 TB is different. Different wire connector position and numbers of pins.
Are there substantial gains or is it not worth the trouble?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Other than being one of the first to install a 2.4 TB on a 2.2 and going into limp mode I honestly have no experience. I have read threads of those that have installed the 2.4 TB and got a tune but their performance gains aren't something to "write home about".

Hopefully someone that has done this could chime in...

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Yes the gains are totally worth it. The 2.4 manifold and Tb coupled together make for some great horsepower gains. I was at 168whp with that an intake and full exhaust.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ok, thats all I needed to hear to make it worth it to me. :) Now how would I go about finding a 2.4 TB? Would I have to find one off a 2.4 Cobalt or do they sell them somewhere online? Also, once I found one would it bolt right onto this or would I need an adapter?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was on that site that you posted and I put in 2006 and a 2.4 TB came up. Does that mean that I should put in 2007 or are they the same thing?

Ok nevermind my bad, under year it says 06-07.:embarrest:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.