Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Which is a good idea. Measure twice, cut once.

I imagine stroking would be a safer option than boring the motor. With an aluminum block there isn't much you can safely bore, and the further you go the closer you'll get to a catastrophic failure. This is where the extent of my knowledge starts to taper off. I'm still learning, just like you.

A more experienced engine modder would be able to tell you for sure.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Plain jane you pretty much got it.

The sleeves in these motors are steel, but they can fail if you have a bad tune. Higher compression means more power, less boost. But under a boosted application, can cause detonation. To prevent detonation, higher octane fuel and/or meth are highly recommended. I dont believe there are options to stroke the motor but to be honest, with the power you probably want, it would be pointless and expensive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
thanks for the advice
what i want is to build it so it's safe and reliable for daily driving but still has 300-350 hp and i'm hoping that building the engine right and putting a nice bullseye turbo from zzp will achieve that with a nice tune

·
Registered
675 Posts
hey are the wiseco pistons and eagle rods good for the 2010's? when i look on ebay it only goes up to the 2008's

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
I admire your ambition.
haha thanks, is that sarcasm?

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 AM ----------

one more quick question, stock compression is 10:1 right? the wiseco pistons and eagle rods say its 8.9:1, that cool?

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

lol one more and im done i promise. which gasket bore do you select for the head gasket?
theres a bunch of 87mm options but im not sure which one

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah i kind of did just jump into it, but i mean im only 21 so i might as well live life and have some fun while i can. Besides having the people on here to help me through it makes it muuuch easier for me to do this. Give it a go!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Stock bore is 86mm. Keep that. 10:1 compression is stock. If you keep stock compression, you cant run as much boost safely. However you will have a good power band down low and up top. Just make sure you have a damn good tune

·
Registered
675 Posts
could possibly provide a link to the right headgasket? all the ones im looking at are 87mm :/ yeah i got this for rods and pistons:

Wiseco Pistons Eagle Rods Ecotec 2 2L 8 9 1 86 5mm Opel Cobalt | eBay

these the right ones? sure hope so cuz these are the ones people keep saying to get lol

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

oh and trifecta is working with me to get the tune right. although am i going to need them to re-do it after i have the rods, pistons and headgastet done? looking to safely run maybe 15-20psi.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
No those are not right. Your bore is 86mm not 86.5mm. Just search cometic head gasket for 2.2. Youre gonna want to get a retune just to make sure. If youre 07+ I would highly suggest getting tuned by someone with hptuners. Youre supercharged right?

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

If not supercharged, what turbo do you plan to run?

·
Registered
675 Posts
greeeat, i already ordered them. i mean it does say that they fit the 2.2L cobalts.

ill search for that then and see what i can find. :)

i am turbocharged, i have the ZZP s252 i believe

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Crap I was kinda hoping no one would see my mistake before I fixed it, why was I thinking Banker had the s256 I don't know.

I have an EFR6758 all Borg Warner turbos here.

·
Registered
675 Posts
21 - 40 of 72 Posts