Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
All parts that you buy should be for the 2.2L.

The intake is the only thing I can see that you would ask this question for, but the intakes for the 2.2 and 2.4 are the same (at least I'm pretty sure they are...they may have different part number or something, but physically they should be the same).

You still have a 2.2L so just look for anything that works with that.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The intake is the only thing I can see that you would ask this question for, but the intakes for the 2.2 and 2.4 are the same (at least I'm pretty sure they are...they may have different part number or something, but physically they should be the same).

You still have a 2.2L so just look for anything that works with that.
The intake runners are fairly different.

That's an honest question, but don't worry yourself over it. The only part I might worry about is the throttle body, but those are probably the same. Just stick with 2.2L parts.

·
Registered
594 Posts
well when you do the swap,it wont effect you of having a 2.2 air intake system or anything like that.If you don't have a air intake or cold air intake,its kind of useless,both of those combined work well with each other including header,new downpipe,and a custom or catback exhaust,but also some other parts from a ss will work for a ls or lt model.I do have a list of what can work on a 2.2 from a list that a person has made.
Suspension:
FE 3,5 Shocks
FE 3,5 Struts
FE 3,5 Springs
FE 3,5 Front Sway bar
FE 3,5 Control Arms
Wheel hubs
Strut tower mounts
Rear axle
FE 5 Steering rack

Engine:
Exhaust Manifold
Downpipe
Exhaust
Intake Manifold (Will Physically fit but TB will not bolt up)
#32 Injectors Fit Leak free, Tuning is needed.
Pistons
Rods
Valve Springs
Supercharger and Throttle Body with Intake Manifold (tunning needed)
Drive Belt

Interior:
All of It

Exterior
Front Fascia
Rear Fascia
Rocker Panels
Deck Lid w or w/o Wing
Rims (07 only if you have factory alloys wheels.)
Headlights (SS are slightly tinted. I believe 07 has no orange reflector over DRL)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
ok this is probably a question some of you will laugh at but I would like an answer. If I the 2.2 to the 2.4 intake manifold swap, the next time I buy any new parts, should I buy them for the 2.4L engine?
2.2 and 2.4 intake manifolds are not identical. The intake-to head gaskets are the same but the 2.4 manifold requires a PCV valve plate/gasket assembly whereas the 2.2 has a drilled PCV orifice and uses a separate gasket. The TB gaskets are different -- you would need the 2.4 TB gasket -- some 2.2 TBs will not seal properly so you should consider purchasing the CED intake kit as it includes a plate and gasket to insure a good seal. Finally, the brake booster vacuum line does not attach in the same place -- the 2.2 brake vacuum line attaches behind the intake while the 2.4 brake vacuum line attaches in front of the TB mount -- you would need the hose from a 2.4L engine (you could buy the correct size hose from a parts house but it won't be pre-shaped).

Also, make note that the 06 and 07 SS 2.4L intake manifold is a 1-piece cast intake while the 08 Sport 2.4L intake manifold is a 2-piece glued together intake just like the 2.2 manifold (but not the same part number). The 08 2.4L uses a different TB too.

Cobalt 2.4 Intake Kit

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info guys. I was planning on getting the swap kit off of CED near the end of the month, but I wasn't sure where it was on my list of mods. But with the information that I've gotten from reasearch and stuff it seems to me like it will be my first along with CAI

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
thanks for the info guys. I was planning on getting the swap kit off of CED near the end of the month, but I wasn't sure where it was on my list of mods. But with the information that I've gotten from reasearch and stuff it seems to me like it will be my first along with CAI
IMO the first mod should be the exhaust. The factory plumbing and muffler on a 2.2 is restrictive -- more for sound control than anything else. Opening this up will make the CAI and intake work better. When installing the CAI first it will make more noise then power because the engine still has to push the exhaust out the smaller exhaust. The GMPP touring cat-back exhaust is very good if you don't want a lot of noise and the GMPP performance cat-back is great if you don't mind the extra noise.

·
Registered
594 Posts
don't forget different headers and a new downpipe:p

·
Registered
673 Posts
don't forget different headers and a new downpipe:p
Yep, far too many people over look these parts which are far more important as far as hp is concerned then cat backs.

Red is right though, the exhaust is extremely important and without major exhaust upgrades the 2.4 manifold won't get you the gains it should.

A 2.2 with CAI, 2.4 manifold, header, dp, and cat back should make for a very nice improvement over stock. IMO if you don't intend to go FI those mods I listed can't be beat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
just make sure your car doesn't have SAI when looking at headers. I don't think anybody makes aftermarket headers to compensate for that yet. And if your balt is an 07 it may already have the lsj header on. Assuming there's no SAI.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
And if your balt is an 07 it may already have the lsj header on. Assuming there's no SAI.
There is a misconception going around that the 07 2.2L came with the LSJ exhaust manifold -- the 2.2L got a redesigned exhaust manifold but it is not the LSJ manifold. The 2.4L and the 2.0L share the same exhaust manifold (and downpipe) but the 2.2L has a manifold with a different part number.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If your car has SAI you will see some other tube right next to the air intake which the K&N air intake system is the only one that can support SAI I believe,unless some company decided to make a intake system that will work with it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah thats about the list I had intended on filling. It just might be a few months in between to make sure I have enough money to put away for them. So far the order I have planned out is: exhaust, headers and downpipe, manifold swap and CAI. And thrown in there somewhere is gonna be rims and tires, and some new ssc springs.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The intake swap with exaust and intake will add some good hp and torque FOR THE PRICE. However, just the intake manifold can cause some issues. First off, the intake has longer runners and this cause the intake charge to be less dense at lower RPM's. In turn, you lose some low end torque numbers but gain some troque and horsepower up top.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
YEa the rest of your parts should be for a 2.2 ...since you have a 2.2 L block.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.