Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. my first cobalt was an 05 base model. i have traded it in for an 07 ss, but with the 2.4l eco. I'm going to rebuild it so it can be turbocharged. I've been getting advice from my friend who drives a wrx with a built sti engine. i just wanted to get some subject matter expert advice. thank you for your input.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Not sure why you would want to rebuild that engine. The 2.4 has stronger internals than the 2.2 has. The moderator zdeuce4 had the zzp stage 2 kit set at 12PSI on his 2.4 SS, pushing over 300WHP...that should be more than enough for this lightweight car.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Not sure why you would want to rebuild that engine. The 2.4 has stronger internals than the 2.2 has. The moderator zdeuce4 had the zzp stage 2 kit set at 12PSI on his 2.4 SS, pushing over 300WHP...that should be more than enough for this lightweight car.
He is rebuilding his 2.4 dude.
He traded his old cobalt for the 2.4l.

[Insert signature here]

·
Registered
924 Posts
I do not have experience with the SS, but I thought they did not usually have the "2.4l eco" engine, maybe his, for some reason has the ecotec Engine and he wants a supercharged one?

Maybe there has been a miscommunication error here...

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I do not have experience with the SS, but I thought they did not usually have the "2.4l eco" engine, maybe his, for some reason has the ecotec Engine and he wants a supercharged one?

Maybe there has been a miscommunication error here...
one year SS came out with the 2.4L version, as well as the "sport" model which had the 2.4L version. Check wikipedia, it has all the history of models and engine sizes.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

He is rebuilding his 2.4 dude.
He traded his old cobalt for the 2.4l.

[Insert signature here]
I know he's planning on rebuilding a 2.4L engine...he mentioned that in his first post.

Does your 2.4L engine run properly? If so, the 2.4 can be turbo'd without rebuilding the engine internals is what I'm saying....of course it depends on what your HP gain goals are.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
2.4s can take a beating. whats the mileage and condition of the newer motor?

it was discovered that 06 2.4s have the forged rods that the lnf/lsj's have but 07+ may not have them. so its up to you how hard you want to push it. but if you get a decent tune and dont make top end runs back to back on the setup with bad afrs or whatnot you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea. i was just want to put a turbo on my 2.4 (61500 miles). i have read a few different posts about it saying different things. i had thought i was gonna have to replace the pistons and such. thats what i was trying to determine. i have about 4/5 thousand to upgrade right now.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
damn. thats plenty.. just order a zzp s2/3 kit and an exed stg 2 clutch setup as well as a new slave, flywheel and the bolts and then some gauges from glowshift. and ur set. shouldnt be more than 3k

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.