Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I ordered the 2.4L intake manifold and TB for my 2.2...It came to like $77....I thought this was cheap, was this the actually parts I was looking for??? That's Canadian...so It would be a lil more in US $

·
Registered
126 Posts
Really? Well they should work. I have been looking at the 2.4 intake upgrade on CrateEngineDepot and thinking about it, but I am running out of time to get it tuned right, so I am going to wait on it for a bit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea im not sure at ALL on how to install it or what it is even, my buddy just told me it gives more HP so I just went to price it out today...price was right, so I ordered it...just gotta find someone to install it...anyone know how hard it is???

·
Registered
126 Posts
Someone probably has a writeup in the DIY section, try there. I don't think it will be that bad. Shouldn't take you too long.

I take that back, doesn't look like one is listed. Either way, it should be pretty self explanatory. You will need a tune after installing it though.

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
yea im not sure at ALL on how to install it or what it is even, my buddy just told me it gives more HP so I just went to price it out today...price was right, so I ordered it...just gotta find someone to install it...anyone know how hard it is???
Disconnect your battery (10mm)

Remove throttle body (4 -10mm bolts)

Disconnect all wires, plugs and anything attached to the intake manifold

Remove fuel rail. (2 - 10mm bolts) (Open your gas cap to relieve pressure)

Remove intake manifold ( 10mm bolts (can't remember how many)

Clean the area where the intake meets the block. (I've used brake cleaner)

Install the new intake.

It's really not that hard.

You know you need a tune also.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Oh wow that sucks, so basically you need to find a garage that will do tuning as well as installing them? the only way around that I can see is if you installed them yourself and flatbeded you car to the tuner which would be highly impractical...

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
Oh wow that sucks, so basically you need to find a garage that will do tuning as well as installing them? the only way around that I can see is if you installed them yourself and flatbeded you car to the tuner which would be highly impractical...
Install it your self.

Tune is purchased from Trifecta.

Tune is sent to you via e-mail

He sends you a "data cable" that plugs into your cars OBD2 port that is connected to the computer.

Open email...wait a few mins.

Done.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've installed a 2.4 manifold on a 2.2 engine...and removed/installed a 2.4 manifold off a 2.4 engine to paint it -- I did not remove the fuel rail on either engine.

The 2.2 will go into limp mode with the 2.4L TB because the 2.4L TB flows 10%+ more air. The ECU's air flow logic will pick this up as an intake leak and cause the engine to go into limp mode. It is a safety feature to prevent the engine from "running away" should a crack happen in the plastic intake or if the fly-by-wire TB goes amok. If you get/buy a tune make sure to point out that you wll be using the 2.4L TB.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
^^OOOH...I thought you sent them the PCM to tune it...well that's nice LOL 5 minute tune FTW...is there a benefit to having HP Tuners over Trifecta? Granted you can custom tune but you think it would be worth the 2 credits via HPT vs. the money for a Trifecta tune (however that might be)...I know how to tune the GTP...so I can't imagine tuning a N/A 4 banger would be difficult.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
When we did it, there was no way it was happening with out removing it. The A/C line was in the way.
Bend that A/C shit out of the way...its moveable. That's what I did when I ported my TB and the runners on the 2.2 manny

·
Registered
713 Posts
Ive heard a tune isnt necessary if you install just the IM. I saw on ced or some similar website that the 2.4 mani(and maybe the tb also) wasnt worth it unless you also bolted on a better exhaust, downpipe, header as well...I was going to put mine on anyways though.

Im about to prime/paint my 2.4 IM and was thinking of installing it this weekend is why I mention that other stuff. I havent looked into a better throttle body yet, which I have always heard requires a tune after installing.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Ive heard a tune isnt necessary if you install just the IM. I saw on ced or some similar website that the 2.4 mani(and maybe the tb also) wasnt worth it unless you also bolted on a better exhaust, downpipe, header as well...I was going to put mine on anyways though.

Im about to prime/paint my 2.4 IM and was thinking of installing it this weekend is why I mention that other stuff. I havent looked into a better throttle body yet, which I have always heard requires a tune after installing.
a 2.4 TB is worth it, I had it on and saw dramatic gains along with the exhaust stuff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.