Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2.4L intake manifold thanks to stickx911 and I noticed on the inside it appears to be very shiny and smells like theres some kind of oil or grease in there. I know it may just be from general use, but since I have a few days or more before Ill be putting it on, is there any reason I shouldnt try to clean the whole thing inside and out?

If the grease/oil/whatever serves a purpose then Ill definitely leave it be, but otherwise Id like to get this thing in as good as condition as possible before putting it on.

Im waiting for the few other parts I need to bolt it on, so its not a huge rush, but again Id just like to make it like new if possible.

Oh and has anyone painted their intake manifold? Ive been on an engine bay cleaning/painting kick and an just curious as to looks and results other have had.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
It's probably oil from the PCV system.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
yeah i'd clean it for good measure. it's def. from the pcv system. and painting it is not a bad idea at all. it may raise your iat's slightly by a degree or 2 because it may harm its ability to dissipate heat. it depends what's more worth it to you, a degree or 2 of higher iat's which is basically harmless or making it look nice.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
If you really want to. It'll be fine otherwise - as long as it's not like clumps of shit

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some of the styrofoam packaging he shipped it in seems to have gotten in there so I think I will give it a once over just to make sure I got it all out. I cant hear any more pieces moving around, but there was some in there.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Yes, certainly - get that shit out. Compressed air will work wonders here

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Has anyone painted their intake manifold? I was going to try some silver high temp paint just to check it out. I was initially going to paint it red just like my coil pack and some other plastic under the hood, but thought maybe the red would start to be too much.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Painting the GM plastic intakes SUCK. Just from experience I tried helping a guy on a L36 UIM (The N/A 3800 V6) and it took almost a day to get it to look good...and it doesn't have NEARLY the valley's and odd shapes the Ecotec IM's have.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Painting the GM plastic intakes SUCK. Just from experience I tried helping a guy on a L36 UIM (The N/A 3800 V6) and it took almost a day to get it to look good...and it doesn't have NEARLY the valley's and odd shapes the Ecotec IM's have.
The only thing that comes out decently is the LS-series manifolds, since they're very round. Like he said, painting an ecotec plastic manifold has the potential to suck major donkey rod.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have an LS, but I just got a 2.4 IM and that was the one I was going to paint. I have it all taped off, but if its going to look like crap maybe ill reconsider. I dont know anyone whos done it so I was just going to wing it.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

My injen CAI arrives today, so I was just looking as to what else I could do while working on things

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Yeah - I wouldn't paint it, I think the black looks nice.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
They don't make them.
...actually...for the record...there was an aluminum intake made for the 2.2 Ecotec. We talked about it back in 2006 (have to look hard for the threads on the CSS . n e t site). It was over $1,000 so it didn't sell well...I'm trying to remember the company name but have brain fade right now...LoL!!! It looked similar to the original plastic intake. Added...the intake was made by Venom.

To the OP I painted my 2.4 intake on my 2.2 silver, and painted the intake on my 07 SS/NA 2.4L red. They came out nice - and I put them both in car shows - so go for it if you want to. Make sure it's fully degreased and CLEAN. You can also file down the rough edges and then use some fine sandpaper to smooth them out for painting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm curious...

heat doesn't really transfer well through plastic, so by painting it.. how are you reducing its ability to dissipate heat?

thats the advantage with a plastic intake manifold, it doesn't absorb heat from the head as much as an aluminum intake manifold would.

also, the IAT is built into the MAF or mounted in the intake right? even if the manifold did somehow retain more heat from paint, the IAT more likely than not won't see the change.. unless the IAT is mounted in the manifold somewhere.

my opinion? the LE5 manifold looks great as is, no paint required.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.