Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site and need some advice, I have a 2006 2.4L ss with 225/40z/r18's im about to give it a 1.9" drop on factory suspension, i was just wondering if ill need to chamber the fronts at all? or will there be enough clearance without it and without the tires rubbing at all. Also i would welcome any all advice.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
You might need new shocks/struts when lowering, although your FE3s may suffice. It's encouraged to swap to FE5s (Cobalt SS Turbo) hardware especially if you're coming from base model stuff or you'll risk blowing the shocks on lowering springs.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
They suck with shitty springs like the Eibach sportlines that were on my redline (only came with FE3) at 70k they were easily shot, thankfully I'm back to the stock suspension.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advice, if you guys could post some links to some strut/shock kits that you guys would recommend, i would appreciate it, ebay, local stores, w.e as long as i can order them lol My car is black with blue accents so i would prefer them a similar color.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Go to RockAuto.com, they have a large selection of shocks/struts to choose from without costing you an arm or a leg.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
AC Delco SS/TC FE5 struts and shocks FTW. I wouldn't go with anything else.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so will any year of FE5 shocks fit my 2006 or is there a specific year i should go with? and are there any differences between the years?

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Any will fit, but you want the '08+ models, from the Turbocharged SS. Better all around (better than Koni Yellows, actually), developed and tested on Nürburgring.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Second best to Koni Yellows you mean, they aren't as good.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Second best to Koni Yellows you mean, they aren't as good.
No, they are better. And they cost less - not adjustable, but they don't need to be. If they weren't better, I'd of bought Koni Yellows.

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

To quote the suspension expert, WillBeck:

WillBeck said:
Koni Yellow's are a good upgrade, but they are expensive. SS/TC stuff is actually a better system, for much less. GM didn't spend all that money at the Nurburgring for no reason.
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/suspension-wheels-brakes-tires/18199-performance-suspension-faq-advice.html

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Don't just take his word for it, keeps the rear end more planted and predictable around corners, the adjustable valving works wonders for going soft on the street and stiffen it up for autocross. Not to mention FE5 are technically valved for FE5 springs, I'll trust the people that track their car and John Powell who made the time attack cobalt a hell of a lot more than that one guy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.