Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I hate to keep botherin ya with stupid questions but here ya go...

1. What is the 2.4 engine code?

2. Are there any chips or programmers out there for the engine?

3. Would it be worth tuning even with little mods?

4. And i dunno if its an issue any more but before i was reading about this engine being hard to tune for a turbo... i was just wondering if its still hard to or not.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Hey guys I hate to keep botherin ya with stupid questions but here ya go...

1. What is the 2.4 engine code?

2. Are there any chips or programmers out there for the engine?

3. Would it be worth tuning even with little mods?

4. And i dunno if its an issue any more but before i was reading about this engine being hard to tune for a turbo... i was just wondering if its still hard to or not.
Being a 2.4 owner, i would believe it is getting easier to tune for a turbo........as for it being worth modding, yes, it is totally worth going with the little mods, i have a CAI and the car runs alot better with it. There are chips and programmers out there, but you have to do some research, as for the engine code, i believe it is the FE5, dont quote me on it, someone else may know better

·
Registered
79 Posts
thats not the engine code i cant remember the 2.4 but the 2.2 is L61 and the 2.0 sc is LSJ

the 2.4 is L something

tyrone13 added 0 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

Just thought of it...its actually LE5 i think not positive tho

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
thats not the engine code i cant remember the 2.4 but the 2.2 is L61 and the 2.0 sc is LSJ

the 2.4 is L something

thus why i said not to quote me on it

·
Registered
673 Posts
1) LE5
2)HP Tuners makes a very nice tuning suite for the 2.4 cobalt. Stay away from "chips" as they do nothing but trick your car into thinking it's getting more air into the engine when it's not. This can lead to disastrous results.
3)probably not from a bang for your buck standpoint if you are just talking intake and exhaust. Chances are you'd spend more tuning then you would for the actual mods although you certainly would see some extra gains.
4)It all comes down to the tuner. A good tuner can tune the engine just fine for turbo, and poor tuner will not. There are several turbo and supercharged 2.4s on the streets.

IMADreamer added 0 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

the 2.4 is L something

You are correct, I will edit my answer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where could I go to get well A. a turbo put on and B. the car tuned? Like could a dealer do it? or would it have to be a special shop?

·
Registered
79 Posts
dealer no no as far as i know....hahn racecraft i believe sells a kit for the 2.4 and you could probably have a shop put it on...but if you have some knowledgeable people around you i would say save your money and put it on yourself

as for tuning i hear there are more options now for the 2.4 but i dont know much about that because im a 2.2 guy

·
Registered
869 Posts
dealer no no as far as i know....hahn racecraft i believe sells a kit for the 2.4 and you could probably have a shop put it on...but if you have some knowledgeable people around you i would say save your money and put it on yourself

as for tuning i hear there are more options now for the 2.4 but i dont know much about that because im a 2.2 guy
Hahn Racecraft sells a tuner with their turbo kit. At least im pretty sure they do. So that eliminates that problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
lol.. k&n cai for 2.4 gives what.. 11 or 12 hp at the wheels supposedly. or was it 14??? Somewhere in there. Well worth it if ya ask me. XD

S

·
0 Posts
Keep in mind a turbo'ed 2.4 with just a turbo and everything stock, destroys a 2.0 sc like its an aveo, talk about owned. I say wait though till hanh has devoloved the kit perfectly, and not needing a piggy back to run it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Keep in mind a turbo'ed 2.4 with just a turbo and everything stock, destroys a 2.0 sc like its an aveo, talk about owned. I say wait though till hanh has devoloved the kit perfectly, and not needing a piggy back to run it.
Does it run a piggy? I didnt think it did, i thought they had it tweaked pretty well. But i mean, a little over 3k for a full setup that brings power up to par with a stage 2 sc? thats almost the sticker difference between the 2.4 and 2.0 lol. thats a damn good deal.

S

·
0 Posts
It does to an extent, you have to send them your pcm to have it fixed to allow the turbo, also a stage 2 sc is what 245? well be at 290, unfixed and undyno'd

·
Registered
869 Posts
It does to an extent, you have to send them your pcm to have it fixed to allow the turbo, also a stage 2 sc is what 245? well be at 290, unfixed and undyno'd
I think stage 2 is 260, right guys? But yea, it just sucks that Hahn has no payment options, its either all up front or none at all. Which is awful hard on minimum wage.

S

·
0 Posts
Ah maybe your right, but still it massacres them, and I know what ya mean on the pay, I got my tax return, but its going to hp tuners and a few other things, so turbo is still a while away, I rather wait anyways im sure someone will develop a full bolt on and simple tune and ill push 325 hp, no idea why the stage kits for the turbo don't work though, if the solstice is the same engine as ours why not eh?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Ah maybe your right, but still it massacres them, and I know what ya mean on the pay, I got my tax return, but its going to hp tuners and a few other things, so turbo is still a while away, I rather wait anyways im sure someone will develop a full bolt on and simple tune and ill push 325 hp, no idea why the stage kits for the turbo don't work though, if the solstice is the same engine as ours why not eh?
Yea and once you get up that high then you get to the really fun stuff, suspension! From the tranny all the way back. Have fun with that lol.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Wait for the TC cobalt to come out, and there should be some sorta factory available tune through GMPP to be able to set up the turbo on our balts that dont have it already.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.