Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have a 2006 Cobalt LS 2.2 Ecotec. It has 37,000 miles on it as far as perfomace mods is have the AEM Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow 2.5" catback exhaust and my next mod is the 2.4 Intake Manifold Swap from CED.com. After this mod, i was wondering if i could put a 2 step in my car. I understand that 2 step is mainly for Stageing the car at the track and is run on turbo cars for the benefit and to help on launches. I understand that my car does not need it cause i dont have so much power but i love the sound of it. My friend has an extra MSD and he said it can be hooked up to the MSD. I hope to do this to my car just so i can have the sound. If anyone knows what i am talking about and knows what is needed for this please feel free to help me out.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
sorry chester, i havent heard of this before. but keep us up to date when you do do it

·
Registered
192 Posts
basically a 2 step is for turbo'd applications to use at the track. what happens is the driver would press and hold a button just before green light so he can rev his engine and hold it there without hitting redline. while holding the button it sets its own "redline", usually around 4k rpms. so a driver does this to build some boost for launch. i cant see any reason this would be needed on a 2.2, even for sound. all it sounds like is bouncing off your redline at a lower rpm.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Some of you might recognize this as a stutter box or trans brake. It's the same thing. The idea is to be able to launch at the ideal RPM without having to hold your foot in a certain position.

In a cobalt this seems kind of pointless because you are going to have to set it at 2k rpms to avoid burning the tires up every time. However if you just want it for the sound go for it I guess.

You should be able to get a kit from MSD that works. Also you need to go catless when you do this because the system is going to dump asinine amounts of fuel into the exhaust.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Some of you might recognize this as a stutter box or trans brake. It's the same thing. The idea is to be able to launch at the ideal RPM without having to hold your foot in a certain position.

In a cobalt this seems kind of pointless because you are going to have to set it at 2k rpms to avoid burning the tires up every time. However if you just want it for the sound go for it I guess.

You should be able to get a kit from MSD that works. Also you need to go catless when you do this because the system is going to dump asinine amounts of fuel into the exhaust.
ah...trany break

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
i knew there was another name for it.

would it not also be called a line lock? or is that only for RWD cars?

My Noob Moment(cause even us Know-it-alls have them)

·
Registered
135 Posts
A trans brake is a totally different from a two step or a line lock. Trans brakes are specifically for automatics and what they do is lock the trans in 1st and reverse at the line while you hold the button. This allows the driver to mat the gas and not worry about the brakes being able to hold the car cause the trans is locked. Let go of the button, reverse lets go and away you go. Line lock rb513 already described but its not front or rear specific. They make kits in the aftermarket and all you have to do is plum them in either front of rear. Two steps/three steps are rev limiters nothing more.

Most importantly Chester DO NOT have your buddy install the MSD stuff in you car. The computer at best wont like it and your car wont run. The '05-'06 2.2 ecotech is it own little animal because it uses compression sens ignition. The ECM contains the basic spark map for the system but once the car is running the ignition control module on top of the coil cassette takes over. This system doesn't use a cam sensor, instead the ICM makes a mathematical calculation and uses that for spark timing. There are aftermarket solutions but they cost upwards of 2 grand simply because you have to replace everything to make it work right. There is a company that does tune the E16 2.2 they are clearimageautomotive.com and they are using the GT tuner from trifecta performance.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much IMA for the great info

·
Registered
10 Posts
how much has all your upgrades cost you chester because thats like exactly where i wanna go with my car and i just want like a rough idea

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the AEM CAI was a freebie cause i got it as a christmas gift from a GF when i had one. I paid just a lil over $250 for catback exhaust. I got the springs from another member on here for $90. DC Carbon Strut Bar was on sale for i think $70 and the Cosmetic stuff was like $165 for tint. I bought the Front SS bumper , had it customized for me and painted for a total of a lil over $500. The Lower Grill i orderd from MR.GRILL.com for about $60 or $70 and the lil freebie stuff such as debadging all logos , polishing the valve cover and installing most of the aftermarket parts such as the CAI, Springs, Strut bar and what not . Just shop around get estimates and find deals. There out there you just gotta do the searching.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.