Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey any one else have the issue of have a 2 Ton jack and putting it on the frame and it only lifting the frame not the tire til after alil up like a foot but was using stock jack and works fine the 2 ton jacks new nothing wrong with it any clue?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
X2

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I think I might have an answer... Have you looked at where the fulcrum of the jack is and how high it goes? Every jack is different.. I have a 1 1/2 ton low profile jack and it doesn't go nearly as high as another 1 1/2 ton jack not made for low pro cars

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
If banker is on the right track, it doesn't matter what the duty of the jack is. You have to measure what the travel of it is.

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:notrust: i got a 2 Ton Jack for Christmas and went to use it today and it took alot to raise the tire but was only raised the frame until alot more cranks but when i use the stock jack it lifts it fine is there a trick to it for this car?

I got it done but just the fact i thought it'd be easier with a two ton jack instead of the stock jack...

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
So you have to give the handle more pumps? or it's physically harder to work the jack?

I'm still lost lol.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Every jack is different, enough said
what he said

amen

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If your using the frame and in front of the car you are lifting both sides up so its going to take more. Stock jack only on 1 side it 1 wheel will lift it higher

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well that's what I'm trying to do with it cause the stock jack is on the lip on the side of the car and i tried that and its lifting the whole side is there a special part for a tip just like the stock jack?

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dont wanna take a chance with lifting the whole front lol

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Thats what its called pinch weld is were i put the stock jack to lift the tire

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Definitely have to get at least 2! Jacks aren't reliable enough to hold the car. Gfs dad worked at a place that rebuilt them back in the day. They are actually not all to strong

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.