Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size tires do i need to get for 20's to work on an 07 lt? And what problems if any will i run into as far as rubbing? Thanks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
try a new car. lol not trying to be an ass, but just dont put 20s on a cobalt. you could go with a nice set of 18s and lower it. that would be much better.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I agree with them. Please dont put 20's on the balt. I mean its your car and you can do as you want but its just not ever gonna look good. Our cars were designed for 18's honestly.

Get 18's and lower the car. Dont lift it even higher lmao

·
Registered
911 Posts
tires? ur gonna need bologna skins

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
You're not allowed to do that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i just wanna put a giant "like" on this whole page!

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
225/30/20 lowered or 225/35/20 stock...

Stock height on 20's your car is going to look like a 4x4, the brake calipers are going to look tiny as hell and with the added weight of the wheel and added diameter, you will feel that the car is slower, your speedo will be off and you will be adding stress to the factory suspension components. I disagree with everyone else tho, Personally I would not choose to put 20's on a Cobalt but if done correctly they can look great and tasteful.

·
Registered
252 Posts
225/30/20 lowered or 225/35/20 stock...

Stock height on 20's your car is going to look like a 4x4, the brake calipers are going to look tiny as hell and with the added weight of the wheel and added diameter, you will feel that the car is slower, your speedo will be off and you will be adding stress to the factory suspension components. I disagree with everyone else tho, Personally I would not choose to put 20's on a Cobalt but if done correctly they can look great and tasteful.

Those all look absurd.

Honestly, balts look best on 17s I find. 18s are nice too.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Those all look absurd.

mmm, not really, they all tuck well, have a good stance and the wheel fits the well just fine. There are many other cars on the market that have a comparable well size and stance height and run 20's but the cars are mid to higher end cars and everyone thinks they look great, because of the emblem on the front of the car. The issue here is 20's are not the norm on a cobalt and people are closed minded.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Those all look absurd.

agreed, they look like drug dealer cars and if they arent lowered they look like donks and everyone knows how fn stupid donks and people who drive them are.

closed minded or not, 20s are way too big, they weigh too much and draw entirely too much attention to the wheels instead of the car. i have 17 inch ss wheels and i think they look great, past 18 and it looks ridiculous

·
Registered
931 Posts
I was completely against 20's thanks to some horrible examples.. However I really like the sedan that was posted... As long as the car is lowered and it doesn't go "donk" or any of that gay crap I like it I guess. Needs to have proper fittings and sit flush imo

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
20's can be done and look ok.. although from both a performance aspect and a $$ saving aspect id stick with smaller rims

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Why does everyone associate large wheels with drug dealing? Larger wheels are a standard now, not a fad. When I was a kid people would have said you were nuts if you put a set of 18's on a car, matter of a fact they didn't even make 18's.

Let me do a little math for all you guys. a cobalt running 18's which seems to be the most commonly installed aftermarket wheel on a Cobalt with a 225/45/18 tire in total is going to be 21.99 inches tall with the only difference being the difference in tread and wear per specific manufacture. A 18 inch wheel running a 225/50/18 is going to be 22.43 inches tall. This a another common tire I see guys running with 18's.
Now a 20 inch wheel running a 225/30/20 will be 22.65 inches tall. That is a little over a half an inch taller of the most popular Aftermarket 18 inch wheel and tire combination. So how the hell can you guys say they are too big and do not belong on a Cobalt.

And if you find a tuner wheel that you like in a 17" or 18" someone makes it or something damn close in a 20". Also the difference in weight is not that much. For example if a wheel weighs 20 Pds in an 18", the same wheel is going to weigh about 22.2 Pds in a 20" inch wheel, so you gain 10 Pds with all four for that specific wheel. So then you go with take your 225/45/18 tire (for Kumho) which weighs 25 pounds and change it to a 225/30/20 which weighs 23 because of the reduced height in sidewall. So you save 8 pounds. So you gain a whole .5 pounds per wheel and tire, wow guys 2 pounds heavier, that might take you 1/4 time to 16.61 instead of 16.6 and larger rotational mass we are talking .5 -.65 inch, which is nothing.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I grew up in Chicago... That's why I associate them. Good point on the math! But I personally like being able to see some sidewall on my tires. That's my .02

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.