Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

2005 Cobalt fuel line repair questions

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Homebrewser 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of repairing the fuel lines on my 2005 Cobalt, they rusted out where the heat shielding is, I've got the rot cut out and the new lines ready to be put together, I'm using the nickel-copper line. I want to find out if it's necessary to replace the heat shielding I cut out, or if I could wrap the exhaust in some heat shielding to prevent corrosion in the future. Thanks.

#2 ·
I wouldn’t recommend not putting the metal heat shield back. Wrapping the exhaust is not really sufficient. The main problem you may experience if the fuel line isn’t shielded from the exhaust heat is something called vapor lock. It happens when the fuel line is heated. The car may start just fine when cold, but may not restart after being turned off and restarted when hot after being run. Also it’s not a great idea to overheat a fuel line, kind of dangerous territory.

#3 ·
Contradicting the last post here. But the only part of my fuel line that was rusted was the part that didnt have any heat insulation on it from the factory. So Id definitely say use the shield and wrap it. Mine is in the same spot too, right next to the exhaust. Really odd that they left a good 5 or so inches exposed but put insulation everywhere else near the exhaust. Still waiting for it to get bad enough or for it to be a recall. Last i checked there's a party pushing for this known issue to be recalled.

#5 ·
Just wondering what part of the world you live in. I live in south Texas and while I’ve seen surface rust on some of these cars on the fuel lines, I still have yet to see one rusted out. The only times I usually see anything rusted really bad is when the car is from somewhere like the island or right near the water. Or maybe has come from up north where salt is used on roads in the winter. Or maybe they take it to the beach often and don’t wash under the vehicle.

#7 ·
This is more than just a salt problem. Moisture and dirt also get stuck in heat shield and rust out the fuel lines. It is common enough that the NHTSA is currently investigating it to see if a recall is needed. I would recommend anyone with the problem or who had the problem to contact NHTSA. i have a 2006 with 69k miles and rarely driven on salt roads and garage kept, and the lines rusted in that location. Hoping it becomes a recall so i get my money back

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.