Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking to replace the head unit in my '05 coupe. I want to be sure I don't lose all the functions of my DIC. Any help would be great. I keep getting told there is no way to install a new radio. Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi I am looking to replace the head unit in my '05 coupe. I want to be sure I don't lose all the functions of my DIC. Any help would be great. I keep getting told there is no way to install a new radio. Thanks for you help.
you can install a new radio i did it in my 06 cobalt with no problems and it sounds great so who ever tellin you that is not straight on his facts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
You can install an aftermarket radio. You just need the wiring harness. It will run you about 100 bucks.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Just go to a local audio shop and ask them what all you need. They will have the mounts, harness and its usually only 40 bucks to just have them install it. I could do it myself but its worth it to me to just let them do it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
BEST BUY also performs audio installations at most locations. They have harnesses and dask kits for sale.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought that with the 05 Cobalt you have to relocate the factory radio to the trunk and keep it installed in order for an aftermarket radio to work. Although my boss had an 05 colorado and he said all he had to do was set the radio to the settings he wanted before he uninstalled it and replaced it with an aftermarket unit. I don't know if this same thing applys to the cobalt but that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. I pulled the radio from my car and all everything continued to work fine. I called crutch field and they said I would have to purchase the dash kit that relocated the DIC to a new LCD below the radio. Also that I would lose my factory amp and sub. Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks,

·
Registered
12 Posts
you can install a new radio i did it in my 06 cobalt with no problems and it sounds great so who ever tellin you that is not straight on his facts

hey how did you get the new radio to fit, for me im trying to install a a sony cdx gt630ui and it dosent have enough clearance behind it.

Thanks for the feedback. I pulled the radio from my car and all everything continued to work fine. I called crutch field and they said I would have to purchase the dash kit that relocated the DIC to a new LCD below the radio. Also that I would lose my factory amp and sub. Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks,
u have a 05 right, and the lcd is to the left of the radio, correct.

i have an 06, and the harness i got was GMCO2L11, i know its expensive, but it was easy to install, just turn the switch to chimes off. every thing work like before, but like above, i just cant get the radio to fit, its really pissing me off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
whoever told you there is not way to install an aftermarket unit is deff some Homer Simpson stuff.... lol... the stock radio is a dual din radio... wich mean you will need to a Dual din to single din plate... they sell them at Best Buy...

get the wire harness... however the harness doesnt have a remote wire so you will need to run a wire from eather the ignition or the fuse box to the head unit....

ohh i dnt think you will loose the sub and the amp, as far as i know the wireharness should take care of that

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
you mean the entire back plate, and how would one go about that, and is there anything to damage behind there.
Yep, you can see the plat that it is hitting. I got mine professionally installed because i hen into this problem. But I imagine they just used like a hack say blade or something.. there's nothing back there to damage..

·
Registered
21 Posts
i didnt cut that plate.... i just beat it with a big azz hammer,and as for that adapter/harness....mine ran me 150 cdn....but works like a dream.

·
Registered
96 Posts
same with mine never cut the plate.... Hey Brizz did you do your bumper and grill yourself??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.