Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Cobalt loosing oil, but where? Or is it?

My 2005 Cobalt 2.2L seems to be loosing oil.
  • No Oil in the Coolant
  • No Coolant in the Oil
  • No leaks anywhere
  • No smoking oil out of the exhaust
Today after an oil change two months ago I checked the dipstick and there was not oil on the dip stick.

I added one liter of oil then I could see 2 out of 4 notches on the dip stick.
Where is the oil going?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
how many miles were put on in those 2 months. Alot of engines burn a small amount in everyday running without creating the civic blue smoke condition. @ 8,000 km my oil has dropped half the stick

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Try and engine oil treatment maybe!!! Maybe PCV isn't working as it should.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
we have a pcv valve? wheres it hiding?

Coby is right though, bad pcv can make it burn oil

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I will check out the pvc valve. I could have out on 8K in 2 months I will keep and eye out for that too.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Crankcase Ventilation System Description

A crankcase ventilation system is used to consume crankcase vapors in the combustion process instead of venting them to atmosphere. Fresh air from the intake system is supplied to the crankcase, mixed with blow by gases and then passed through a calibrated orifice into the intake manifold.

Operation

The primary control is through the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) orifice which meters the flow at a rate depending on inlet vacuum. The PCV orifice is an integral part of the camshaft cover. If abnormal operating conditions occur, the system is designed to allow excessive amounts of blow by gases to back flow through the crankcase vent into the intake system to be consumed by normal combustion.

Results of Incorrect Operation
A plugged orifice may cause the following conditions:

• Rough idle

• Stalling or slow idle speed

• Oil leaks

• Sludge in engine

A leaking orifice may cause the following conditions:

• Rough idle

• Stalling

• High idle speed

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey i am just wondering if you have found the problem?
mine is doing the same thing but it only has 114000 KM on it and it is consuming 1l of oil like every week?
thanks

nick

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
07orangecobalt2,
I know you're looking for feedback from the forum members on your oil concern; if you had wanted to speak with Customer Service for your region (I see "kilometers" and am assuming Canada, but let me know if I'm wrong), GM of Canada can be reached at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

Sarah, GM Customer Service

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.