Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I need to put a fresh 2.2 Ecotec in my 05 Cobalt. I'm trying to find out if A) I can simply grab one out of a Pontiac or Saturn and drop it in my Chevy, and B) if I need an '05 or could I pull one out of a newer model. Also, as a curiosity, I'd like to know how difficult it would be to use the motor out of an SS. I'm asking this so I know what kind of variety of makes and models I can look at when it comes to selecting an engine.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
You can only swap 05-08 L61 engines into your car that have the same drivetrain. Theoretically you could swap the lnf or the lsj in but it would require thousands of dollars, countless hours of tuning and an unreliable vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can only swap 05-08 L61 engines into your car that have the same drivetrain. Theoretically you could swap the lnf or the lsj in but it would require thousands of dollars, countless hours of tuning and an unreliable vehicle
Does the L61 have to come from a Chevy or could I use a mint one sitting in an '07 Saturn with 40k (for example).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if I find an L61 in any car the only thing I'll have to worry about when putting it in is engine mounts? thank you for replying and for your patience, I'm just trying to figure out what I should look for and what I can use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I neglected it and ran it low on oil, unfortunately til it started tapping....I changed the oil and it helped for the drive home, then my dad came over to take a look and a listen and it just started getting worse and worse, now its tapping like hell on acceleration and lightly at cruising speeds, in the lower gears it will jerk back and forth on acceleration all while running 25-30 degrees hotter than normal. I've moved it 3 times since the oil change and it feels worse each time.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Probably spun a couple bearings and blew the head gasket. Bearings wouldnt be hard or expensive to replace if you had a few hours. But until you took off the head, you won't know what you're working with. These engines are kind of a pain in the ass to remove just so you know

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I put a 2005 cobalt 2.2L into my brothers car and that's a 2004 Cavalier with zero problems everything was exactly the same (engine wise, I know they use hydraulic steering). So a 2004 l61 should work as well, which means a sunfire would be good and I would think a Saturn would be fine as well. If you have to switch mounts then you need to switch mounts

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

These engines are kind of a pain in the ass to remove just so you know
I find they're just the opposite. Total job easily done in 6 hours. and that includes 30 mins for lunch time.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^question. How does it work if the cobalt has electric and the cav has hydrolic steering?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Took us about 5 to take it out and 9 to put in. Was also over 100 degrees both days. I wouldn't suggest getting an l61 from a cavi or sunfire because of the power steering. That power steering pump puts extra stress on the intake side of the timing chain and has been known to snap timing chain guides and screw everything up. Ask me how I know. Had it happen twice on both my gf's Cavaliers. That was a bitch

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
ahh, something that can only be learnt from experience. That's what happened to my brothers cavalier, hence the reason we replaced the motor. I also have access to proper tools and im in a shop. just curious though, why did it take so long to put back in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do I need to worry about whether the exhaust manifold on the new engine is drilled and tapped for an air check valve or not?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is the above info the same for an 06? Not entirely sure mine needs an engine just yet, but would like to know if/when the time comes. I'm hoping that my mom will just sell me her 05 and we can swap the engines, but I don't know if I'll get that lucky....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Knock in her making it louder than a 70s era pickup. Not entirely sure she needs an engine, though. Fought misfires for about 2 years before she developed the knock. Hubs thinks there's a SMALL chance it might just be a clogged cat, but he's been too busy to really look at it. He did take the cat off, but the knock is so loud you can't tell if it made a difference or not. Replaced plugs 2x, injectors once, coil pack, cleaned injectors (3x), and replaced throttle body all over the course of about a year and a half. Had no codes when she started knocking, and still no codes on it to this day. Drove her to work in the morning one day, 4 hours later on my lunch she was louder than a 70s pickup. The hubs has this nifty camera thing from snap on or Mac that lets you see in small places, and he says it doesn't LOOK like the timing slipped, but that was done with everything still together. (It's on his list this spring when his body work side jobs start to slow down.)

*Add* I'm hoping it's not the engine, just because my car has super low miles (63xxx), and I know that whatever engine we find will probably have close to double that. (The reason I'm hoping mom will sell me hers if it does need one - her car only has 70xxx miles on it.)

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
you spun your bearing(s) dude....

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

also, if you continue to drive it, you're probably gonna throw a rod or a piston through your block. how can you neglect a HUGE issue like that?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh, she's been parked for those 14 months, and only even started about 3 times since last Jan/Feb. I'm in a 2012 CRV right now. DEFINITELY not driving her. Any quick fix/check for spun bearings?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.