Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 Cobalt LS, with FE1 want to go FE5 for the front control arms...

I currently have the FE5 front sway bar, and links, my current FE1 control arms are metal and metal now so I am looking to go for the FE5 aluminum ones. Is there a certain year I need to order? Are doorman ones any good?

Also there is a weird knocking noise that emits from the trunk every once in a while. Almost sounds like something tapping.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry can’t help with your problem but I also have that knocking sound once in a while too. It’s usually when I stop the car and turn off the engine. Love to hear what that is!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
The knocking noise is the EVAP purge.

As far as the FE5 control arms, they are a great upgrade simply by being a good bit lighter. You will need to find a pair for 2005-2007 SS/SC Cobalts - the '08+ SS/TC uses a different steering knuckle, and thus the control arms will not fit with yours.

Dorman usually makes a good OE-replacement part, but I don't have any experience specifically with the FE5 arms - mine were used OEM parts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I’ve done lots of repairs with Dorman parts over the years. But I would say that I will not use their parts on my car if I have an option to buy something like AC Delco Professional or OE. As far as suspension parts, Dorman is cheap, IMO it’s junk. For a little more you can either get an AC Delco part, although their advantage line is cheaper. Or even can get Moog parts. Those would be the brands I’d spend my money on. Also would not mind buying TRW brand, they are an OEM manufacture.

I believe you’ll need the 05-07 FE5 arms to work with your knuckles due to the ball joint stud size being different on later models.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
2005 Cobalt LS, with FE1 want to go FE5 for the front control arms...

I currently have the FE5 front sway bar, and links, my current FE1 control arms are metal and metal now so I am looking to go for the FE5 aluminum ones. Is there a certain year I need to order? Are doorman ones any good?

Also there is a weird knocking noise that emits from the trunk every once in a while. Almost sounds like something tapping.

Thanks
If you want FE5 control arms you need them form an 05-07 Cobalt SS. I have listed part numbers and links to Crate Engine Depot They also have a parts break down of the LNF FE5 listed here: Cobalt LNF Front Suspension. These are all stock compnenets, there are some aftermarket components that are just as good as stock. I will say that I have driven my car pretty hard and my stock/OEM control arms and sway bar bushings and endlinks have held up to the torture I put them through the car has over 135k on it. I don't know if that helps you decide on OEM LNF part or not but I feel the price on the OEM stuff can be justified if it last 135k+ miles, on a modified suspension and a decent amount of abuse.

Control Arms (LSJ)
22. 15803766 Arm Frt Lwr Cont LH (LSJ FE5)
22. 15803767 Arm Frt Lwr Cont RH (LSJ FE5)

Sway Bar (LNF)
30. 25847759 Shaft Frt Stab (23mm) (FE5)
31. 20902785 Insulator Frt Stab Shf (24mm)(FE5)
32. 11562343 Bolt Frt Stab Shf Brkt (M10X1.5X27)
33. 10389617 Clamp Frt Sab Shf (100X50X55)(2Holes) (FE5)
34. 11517996 Nut (M10X1.5)
35. 20784688 Link Frt Stab Shf (250MM) (FE5)

Reactions: MP81

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Likewise, I've been running my '05-07 FE5 control arms for 10 years and about 75k miles now. I've run the car at the dragstrip, and have autocrossed it numerous times back in college, and I drive it hard on the road (super sticky tires help there) in regards to turns. Worth mentioning: they were used when I bought them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts