Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got done replacing my thermostat on my Cobalt. Let me first say that I am a pretty fair backyard mechanic. I also have a lift. It took me about 10 minutes to pull it and about 5 hours to put it back in!! I could not find the right .000295 degree angle for that fu^%$#* water pipe from the water pump to the thermostat housing to go in after replaceing the thermostat. I tried from above to below for hours! Using prybars, screw drivers channel locks and the like. If anybody has a tip on the installation please share it here for the next guy so he does not have to go through what I did. I was seriously thinking of dropping the motor thats how frustrated I got!!!
Now after I have completed the task and not set fire to the car due to frustration are there tips ? Maybe loosining the thermostat housing from the block? Everything is so hard to get at I still am not sure what I could do to make it easier!!! Lastly why the fu%$ would you put a part that probably will need to be replaced sometime in the cars life behind the exhaust manifold?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
First time I've heard that somebody found it hard to change the thermostat on a Cobalt.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It should not be that difficult to change out a thermostat. The reason why they don't last forever is that engineers design them to get service at a dealership. They have not perfected a better part and just like the internally combustible engine, has not changed in over 100 years.

I cannot see why you would set the car on fire from frustration. If you are unable to do it, then I would highly suggest to find a friend to help you install a new one. That's what I would do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2005 Cobalt

Its 2 bolts to replace the thermostat....
you never had a hell of a time getting the tubing back on that goes to the water pump? Mine would not slide any where near enough to leave it hanging. I know its two bolts for the thermostat but the tube is next to impossible to get back in. I find it almost impossible that no one else had a terrible time with this.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have never replaced one on my cobalt yet, I have replaced/upgraded to a nismo thermostat on my old 240 back in 1999, took me about an hour and flushed the radiator while I was at it.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
you never had a hell of a time getting the tubing back on that goes to the water pump? Mine would not slide any where near enough to leave it hanging. I know its two bolts for the thermostat but the tube is next to impossible to get back in. I find it almost impossible that no one else had a terrible time with this.
You dont need to remove the water pipe...

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Did mine when I did my water pump. The gasket was completely gone for the thermostat. Never was able to find it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2005 Cobalt

You dont need to remove the water pipe...
Ok I will let this die but are we talking about the 2.2 motor? There is no way the thermostat comes out without the removal of the water pipe. The ear holes where the bolts go through catches on the housing so the thermostat and plastic retainer cup wont come out. Just looking for a better way for the next guy.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The manual says to remove heat shield and then the 2 bolts.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Not for the 2.2L, I should put the procedure up here from the GM server.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Again

Not for the 2.2L, I should put the procedure up here from the GM server.

Exactly the procedure I found. Did you see where the water pipe is tilted down from the water pump housing to remove the thermostat? I had to wriggle it around then pull it out or the thermostat was never coming out. Trying to re install the water pipe into the water pump housing then match up to the thermostat housing was near impossible!!! The water pipe you can tell is VERY close to the block and allows for about a 180 degree turn thats it!!! Either the pipe hit or the bolt hole flange would catch something. Just had a thought. Might be possible that the water pipe is bent different from stock. This is a replacement engine from a scrap yard. I guess the pipe could have been bent some where along the line during transportation or pulling. Never thought of that till now. Maybe I am wasting everybodies time here. Thought I was helping in some way but this makes the most sense now seeing that most responses had a breeze of a time with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.