Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dome light isnt working. I bought the car for my daughter. I checked the fuse and it's blown. Every time I replace the fuse it blows again right away. I would love any help I could get. I took the dome light out and unplugged it but still the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You blow a fuse with no dome bulb? So B+ wire from BCM must be pinched somewhere. I'LL find the routing of the harness for you. Coupe or Sedan?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it keeps blowing. I took the bulb out. I unplugged the dome light and as soon as I put in a new fuse it blows instantly. It is a sedan. I am very thankful.

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Also I even held in the door switch and it still blew. It may be possible I didn't hold it in long enough?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Also I even held in the door switch and it still blew. It may be possible I didn't hold it in long enough?
Possibly, they need to fade out and even then will have a trickle of voltage going threw the lines as we found out after installing LED's. If its popping instantly, you'll want to follow the wires back to the BCM from the dome light. Its easier if you have a sunroof, but since you dont you might need to pull down the headliner. Check the connection at the BCM itself and pull off the dome light and check those wires too...make sure theyre not melted or exposed.

An easier fix might be rewiring the dome light yourself. Its really not too difficult. Just running 2-3 wires (I don't have a dome light so I don't know how many there are) from the BCM connector to the light.

I'm not sure what else would be in line with that fuse and in turn causing it to pop.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
OK at least we now know that the Dark blue wire with white stripe is being shorted out. Next step is to remove the drivers side rear plastic panel above deck lid (see picture)where you will expose a harness junction. This junction carries that Dk-blu/wh wire to the dome. Disconnect at this point and try an other fuse (5 amp) is enough for the test. If it blows again the short is between BCM fuse block and this junction, if it doesn't your short is between this junction and dome receptical.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Take the round cap from the pillar out and one screw holds it in place the rest are quick clips.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Oh be careful not to break wire going to rear window defog.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took off plastic and there is wires but no junction to disconnect.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It should be there unless it slipped down towards the trunk.

Or it might be tucked under the headliner.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I swear I'm not making this stuff up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe you. It feels like it attached under the back cover. I unplugged the rear defroster but it still feels attached under there. I will see if I can get the back cover off.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you have an Ω meter, measure between chassis ground and pin "D" (blue wire with white stripe) of harness going to dome fixture. This should not be short.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

I believe you. It feels like it attached under the back cover. I unplugged the rear defroster but it still feels attached under there. I will see if I can get the back cover off.

You will need to remove other pillar molding. Cover just snaps out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it unplugged. The big purple wire is all burnt at the plug.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
OK, so the real culprit is the rear defog wire. Purple is the supply going to the rear defogger. If it's burnt at the connector chance are it heated pretty good the whole way in the harness and probably at one spot melted the blue/white and ground wires together. I will find the route for this harness on the server and report back.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well that drawing is worthless, but from what I can see the bl/wh wire only follows the purple and ground wire to about the door pillar between front and back door then turns in towards the center console. ground wire stops under seat on ground terminal on floor and bl/wh wire continues all the way to pin A3 of C3 of the BCM block. You can just barely see it here. Purple wire continues on to the underhood fuse block. Maybe somebody put the wrong size fuse in for rear defog.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.