Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my car makes a rattle sound whenever i go over bumps, big or small it doesnt matter. its coming from the front of the car both sides, sounds like its right under the dash, and its pretty loud too.
i have no idea what this could be i heard many complaints of this from cobalt owners. some people said they had their steering columns replaced and that didnt fix it. did anyone have this problem fixed?

also when turning (both ways) instead of straightening itself out after completing a turn, my steering wheel stays whichever way i am turning. so if i let my hands off the wheel my car would go in a circle. so when i turn i have to straighten the steering wheel back to the center after completing a turn. help please?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well, you probably have a lot of miles and seen several winters with road salt.

The noise over bumps if it sounds like metal to metal, it's probably lower control arm bushings, if it's a milder sound it's probably saddle bushings, or both.

Most vehicles do need eventual maintenance.

As far as the steering not coming back to center I believe your steering rack must have pick-up road grim over the years and rusted-out inside.

All these are fairly low cost repairs when you do these when they appear. Of course having to do them all at once will make a dent in your wallet. If it is a high mileage car I would go with a good donor steering rack. The bushings will run you about 110$ for all four.

Take care!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Just get new FE5 if you can afford it, my bushings went out three months after replacing. Their not terrible yet but right away in the morning when I back out of the driveway I can hear them squeeking. It could also be your tie rods causing the steering issue. Personally, I am saving up to do my entire suspension becuase when one thing goes out another is right behind it, plus I wont have to take it all apart 15 times! Let us know what you figure out.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It could also be your tie rods causing the steering issue.
But these (HHR, ION, G5 and Cobalt) are known to have and issue with water getting by the inner tie-rod steering rack seal and causing rust to bind the rack. Usually only one side and I can't remember if it's right or left but I think it's when you turn left the steering won't come back on it's own. This symptom creeps up on you very slowly and gets worst and worst day by day.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If the rack is your problem here's the procedure for replacing it. Sorry JPEG quality.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.