Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
I have been offered a chance to buy a 2006 cobalt SS a/t it has 96000 on it been well cared for. I currently own a 2002 chevy cavalier 2.2 ecotec 5- speed 190000 miles.
I'm not new to the ecotec motor so heres my questions what do I need to look for mechanical or electrical. Should I have any concerns buying this car. This will be my first supercharged vehicle. But I have been around and worked on many turbo vehicles.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Hey all,
I have been offered a chance to buy a 2006 cobalt SS a/t it has 960000 on it been well cared for. I currently own a 2002 chevy cavalier 2.2 ecotec 5- speed 190000 miles.
I'm not new to the ecotec motor so heres my questions what do I need to look for mechanical or electrical. Souls I have any concerns buying this car. This will be my first supercharged vehicle. But I have been around and worked on many turbo vehicles.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Geez almost a million miles, that was a good Cobalt.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
for my twisted sense of humor but just my way to initiate new members.

At that mileage if it's had regular maintenance only thing I would worry about is making sure aftercooler pump works and that the timing chain first generation tensioner has been changed to the better one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey you gotta have fun in like or it gets boring.
Thanks for the info if I do buy the car I'll check the tensioneras soon as I get it home.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I paid more for my 2.2, I would take it to a mechanic or test drive the crap out of it. There has to be something wrong, but it could be legit. I would be cautious.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Keep us posted, feel free to ask if you see anything funny.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blackbalts,
Is there anything else you think I should look at that has not already been mentioned. Like I said before I have a cavy with a 2.2 ecotec in it so I know my way around the engine I have not dealt with superchargers much. I was leery of the price being kinda low myself that's why I'm here asking all of you questions.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
At that milage the majority of the damage would be internal if this person beat on it.

I would check for the usual, crappy mod install, sloppy suspension, etc.

My number one thing with any car is to be able to start it cold myself. So many issues present themselves when you first start the car, I know people that will run it prior to your arrival so you dont see those things.

I dont know a whole lot about the SS models to be honest, the price just throws a red flag for me.

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

I've always found this site helpful when I'm looking into a new car.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Complaints, Problems & Defects Information | CarComplaints.com

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Keep in mind that it is not specific to the SS unless you read into the problems. Obviously the steering problem should have already been fixed if that one had it or it would be covered under the recall.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
They made an ss version without a turbo or supercharger. It's the 2.4 motor

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

But he does keep saying supercharged. Sooo either he is confused or he typoed pretty bad

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
575 Posts
i know about the other ss but yeah he did keep saying supercharged but if the person/dealership is telling him its supercharged with an auto tranny they are most likely full of shit

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.