Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

My 2006 Cobalt with a 2.2L engine (141,666 miles) is throwing diagnostic code P0304. I understand the code is related to a cylinder 4 misfire that could be caused by a bad ignition coil, spark plug or fuel injector, etc.

The car has AC Delco iridium plugs with about 40,000 miles on them and cylinder 4 plug looks clean.

Can anyone let me know if the ignition coils are known to be faulty for this year Cobalts? And, if there is a way to test the ignition coils?

Thanks

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi Everyone My 2006 Cobalt with a 2.2L engine (141,666 miles) is throwing diagnostic code P0304. I understand the code is related to a cylinder 4 misfire that could be caused by a bad ignition coil, spark plug or fuel injector, etc. The car has AC Delco iridium plugs with about 40,000 miles on them and cylinder 4 plug looks clean. Can anyone let me know if the ignition coils are known to be faulty for this year Cobalts? And, if there is a way to test the ignition coils? Thanks
Ignition coils are top things that go bad on cobalt this year midel up to 2010 same with gas caps blinker switch and timing chain tensionr

· Registered
1,354 Posts
EZ now! The ignition coiled on cobalts changed between 2005-2006, with the wasted spark single ignition module on top of the valve cover to (2007-on) individual coil over sparkplugs.

now, the 2005-2006 Cobalt 2.2L engine is known for its sensitivity to spark plugs and ignition modules(coils)

Look up waisted spark ignition here on the forum.
This is something you want to take care of very quickly, because during the misfire, extra unturned fuel can be dumped into the exhaust and force the cat to take care of it….this CAN lead to a melted catalytic converter in only a few miles.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone

My 2006 Cobalt with a 2.2L engine (141,666 miles) is throwing diagnostic code P0304. I understand the code is related to a cylinder 4 misfire that could be caused by a bad ignition coil, spark plug or fuel injector, etc.

The car has AC Delco iridium plugs with about 40,000 miles on them and cylinder 4 plug looks clean.

Can anyone let me know if the ignition coils are known to be faulty for this year Cobalts? And, if there is a way to test the ignition coils?

Thanks
My 2007 was throwing the same code. Ignition coil was changed. It started throwing the same for about 6 days later again. Took it back in and the mechanic changed the plug on cylinder 4. The old plugs only had about 6000 miles on them so he didn’t change it the first time. He also ran a Sea Foam cleaner through the engine. It’s been fine ever since.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2007 was throwing the same code. Ignition coil was changed. It started throwing the same for about 6 days later again. Took it back in and the mechanic changed the plug on cylinder 4. The old plugs only had about 6000 miles on them so he didn’t change it the first time. He also ran a Sea Foam cleaner through the engine. It’s been fine ever since.
Thank you for the information. I had the ignition coil and spark plugs changed today. I will check into the Sea Foam cleaner.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EZ now! The ignition coiled on cobalts changed between 2005-2006, with the wasted spark single ignition module on top of the valve cover to (2007-on) individual coil over sparkplugs.

now, the 2005-2006 Cobalt 2.2L engine is known for its sensitivity to spark plugs and ignition modules(coils)

Look up waisted spark ignition here on the forum.
This is something you want to take care of very quickly, because during the misfire, extra unturned fuel can be dumped into the exhaust and force the cat to take care of it….this CAN lead to a melted catalytic converter in only a few miles.
Thank you, I had the ignition coil and spark plugs changed today. The car is running better but now I am getting P0326 - Knock Sensor 1. Any thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts