Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I was driving on the highway and after about 30 minutes, the coolant temperature light came on, and then 5 minutes after I noticed reduced power and the car would not accelerate. I pulled over to the side and turned the car off and it won't start again. It cranks and tries to start but nothing
I was late for an oil change and just going into the city to get one. The car was also low on coolant and oil I noticed when I pulled over, I tried re filling and nothing, and when I opened the hood there was quite a bit of smoke and could smell a burning smell.
Not sure what this could be, any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
A lot of cars wont start if the oil is to low. Try putting in some more oil, if the engine got to hot you could've burned something up as well.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
We're sorry to hear about this situation, tcox85. Are you working with anybody to get this checked into? Let me know if I can be of any assistance in locating or working with a dealership.
Sarah, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
money_man and Sarah thanks so much for the replies. I did put a bit more oil in it at the time when I had to pull over. I checked and it actually looks like there's not much in there, just barely touching the MIN part of the dip stick. I will try and put more in and see if that's the case, I'm hoping to identify the problem and go at repairing it myself, don't have much money to take it to a mechanic at this point.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
If you are on min then you need a minimum of a full quart. You should keep up on this because the cobalt doesn't do well while low on oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just in time for an oil change, not sure what could have lead to it being low on oil and coolant, there are no leaks from what I can see. I will fill it up and see if that does anything...thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
How many miles? It's possible you could be burning oil, do you see smoke coming out of the tail pipe when you start it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't usually see any smoke, this is the first problem I've ever had with the car, it has 160,000 kms on it

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Does it turn over kinda fast? My brothers ecotec 2.2 died coming off the highway and ended up being a broken timing chain. Almost all engines burn a little oil day to day and there's nothing wrong with that. Exspecially with the longer drain intervals it becomes more apparent. These cars have hydraulic chain tensioners and when they're run low on oil they start losing pressure which can cause the chain to become damaged over time

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't really notice it being faster or slower...I do see the timing belt and chain and everything are turning it just won't fully crank...

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Your accessory belt is not the same. Your timing chain is under the valve cover so unless you have that off you aren't seeing anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I had the valve cover off to see if maybe I blew a valve cover gasket, the timing chain was moving, not sure if it could still be the issue

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
If you still have it off you should check the tension of the chain and the guard for any cuts and dings.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah thanks, I did just check it out, nothing out of the ordinary stands out, tension seems good

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
hmm, I guess time to go to the basics, do you have a check engine light? what about spark? fuel?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No check engine light on, it sparks and does have fuel, the only light that came on was the coolant temp sensor light that came on when it died on me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.