Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about getting a 2006 cobalt with 77,000 miles on it. Are they worth getting and is there anything I should look out for ?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Cobalts can be great cars. Other then typical stuff like rust, body damage, and things. Listen to the car make sure its not knocking pinging or ticking. You can check and see if there ignition recall was done, one of the signs it has not been done wil be the key. The orginal keys had a long slot where the key ring went through. After the recall they were replaced with keys that had a smaller circular hole. There is a know fuel leak issu where the fuel line will corrode and rust and start leaking. Check under the car near the driver side rear wheel, where the exhaust goes over the rear axle. More infor on that here Reported Chevy Cobalt Fuel Leaks Probed by US Safety Agency even thought at say 08+, it is still a known issues with all cobalts, ions, g5s, and hhrs. Also I don't know if you are into modding cars, but the 05 and 06 cannot be tuned for perfromance enhancement.

·
Registered
156 Posts
With the low miles, it likely has had nothing done to it as far as maintenance. Due to the age, all of the fluids should be changed, brake fluid, coolant, transmission fluid. So you should think about having to do those things to make the car stay reliable.

I got my ‘06 LT sedan with 117,000 miles on it and everything was original down the the brake pads. I have spent about $900 in parts and supplies over the past 15 months, but only paid $300 for the car. I’m sure the one you’re looking at is far nicer. Mine was unwashed and very dirty. Also the paint is ruined from never being maintained in the Texas sun.

Overall, this cheap car has been a really reliable car. Is hasn’t left me stranded, yet anyway. And for what I paid, it was a hell of a bargain when I really just needed a daily driver for work. It’s now a good running, smooth driving car. I didn’t think I’d really like the car. But I’ll likely hold onto it. Maybe send it to a body shop for some new paint. Next I am going to have the windows tinted.

More than likely with the low mileage, the car you’re looking at will be something that can be driven with not much more than maybe doing an oil change initially. But you should do the maintenance if you plan to make the most of your purchase. To make it last and be able to sell it later on if you choose to. Do you have any other info about the car? Maybe like a listing we can see. I'm taking a wild guess, but I bet the car is owned by an older person who has driven it very easily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts