Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2007 2.4 LE5 --> 2008 2.2 L61 Engine Swap Questions

8K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jrsmith 
#1 ·
I would like to install my 2.4 LE5 engine in my new 08 HHR. It's the upgraded L61, not the LAP.

Both engines use the e37 ecm, and using hp tuners i've dumped the tune for both of them. Should be no problem to copy over the settings to the 08 ECM to configure it for all of the different sensors/vvt settings etc.

My one concern is the reluctor ring...does the LE5 use a different reluctor ring than the L61?

Anything else I might be missing?

#2 ·
A follow up question on the reluctor ring...Is the L61 reluctor ring the same as the LE8 reluctor ring? I just need to know which reluctor rings are the same so I know which engines will work or not.

I have this screenshot of the 09 LE8 engine. According to it, the reluctor ring is only for 09-10

#3 ·
What you need to do is go on GM parts direct or similar site and compare the sensor, if it's the same you should be good, or check the connector on the crank position sensor, if they are keyed differently then they are not compatible.

#4 ·
The sensors will all be the same (same e67 ecm)...it's the position of the low resolution pulse that could be different (wherever the missing teeth are around the 360 arc). For the LE5, the low resolution pulse(the 2 missing teeth part) is 15 degrees ATDC(after top dead cylinder). Maybe they're all the same but I would like to know for sure.

I don't wanna have to pull 3 oil pans to find out!

#5 ·
The info is on here somewhere, I already researched this for someone else. Search for reluctor in service.

#6 ·
It appears they are all the same. I did read one comment on cobaltss forums & now this guy on a facebook group:

Trevor Jolley Other than
05-06 l61
04-07 LSJ

The other ecotec use the same reluctor wheel clocking

I believe the diameters r different tho so be cautious of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.