Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 cobalt and I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with it. Starts up just fine first try and starts up right after it gets turned off, but if it is turned off and sits for a couple minutes the starter spins and won't fully engage. I've replaced the started 2 different times and no luck fixing the problem. It's a manual and we are able to pop the clutch to get it going but that's really inconvenient and I would like to fix the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If the starter just spins you may have a chipped or broken ring gear on the flywheel. A way to check is to put the car in gear and roll it a little so you have rotated the engine into another position. Then try to see if it'll start up. If the ring gear is damaged where the engine usually stops that can be possible. Usually the engine will stop in about the same place most of the time due to the compression. I have temporarily fixed this problem by positioning the flywheel in a different position on the crankshaft. But of course the transmission has to come out. You would need to have a look at the ring gear before going through all the trouble.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts