Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning on upgrading the system in my cobalt using the factory head unit, im not going crazy just want better quality for not a bad price, im replacing all 4 speakers with sony 260w upfront and sony 420w speakers in the rear deck. my plan is to put a 10inch 1100w sony sub in the back. now this is where it might get confusing but could i use my amp for the sub to amplify the 6x9s in the rear deck? if you got any answers please let me know

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes you can....I've got 3 amps in mine(bit extreme but I like it)
All depends on the amp your using
Is it full range?
Mono?
How many channels?
That plays a big part
Then how many subs 1, 2
In series or parallel for subs...
Ohms the subs are? Dual or single voice coil?
By the way get rid of the sony first...lol.. Not a sony fan....

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

How the amp turn on by the way?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it full range?
Mono?
How many channels?
That plays a big part
Then how many subs 1, 2

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

i dought im gonna amplify the door and rear deck speakers im not going to extreme with this system, im hoping to keep it around 500 bucks, ill probably just upgrade the speakers and throw in a sub and amp, what amp would be good to run a 10inch 1100w sub?

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Is it full range?
Mono?
How many channels?
That plays a big part
Then how many subs 1, 2

i was looking at a adjustable 80w line out converter (LOC) is this strong enough to run from my rear deck speaker wiring to an amp in the trunk for the sub?

·
Registered
922 Posts
your stock headunit is not going to be able to properly power the door and rear speakers... you should be using an amp with those speakers.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My first setup stock with RCA converter....and amp to the rear deck speakers, sub amp...
like blu3 said your head unit has a crossover in it..you'll find that out when ya see the wiring to rear speakers...(just find the right freq./wire)
Replaced mine for better sound quality..stock wasn't doing it...found a pioneer 1500dvd/cd touch screen for $250 also
Audio pipe is what I have right now good bang for the buck..1500watts at 1ohm.
Paid $250....
I have a clarion 1000watt that was my first sub amp. But that's old school amp but still nice.
Look into the audiopipe an make sure the ohms. Are match for speaker...
Is the speaker single or dual voice coil?
I'm looking to put up some old Sony amps....3amps was gonna use them in mine but went a different way...I'll be posting up here to sale in a bit if interested?(on the for sale thread)
There XM series before they when to the explode series....rustic gold color....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first setup stock with RCA converter....and amp to the rear deck speakers, sub amp...
like blu3 said your head unit has a crossover in it..you'll find that out when ya see the wiring to rear speakers...(just find the right freq./wire)
Replaced mine for better sound quality..stock wasn't doing it...found a pioneer 1500dvd/cd touch screen for $250 also
Audio pipe is what I have right now good bang for the buck..1500watts at 1ohm.
Paid $250....
I have a clarion 1000watt that was my first sub amp. But that's old school amp but still nice.
Look into the audiopipe an make sure the ohms. Are match for speaker...
Is the speaker single or dual voice coil?
I'm looking to put up some old Sony amps....3amps was gonna use them in mine but went a different way...I'll be posting up here to sale in a bit if interested?(on the for sale thread)
There XM series before they when to the explode series....rustic gold color....
i know what the basics of sound systems but all this stuff your saying just looses me haha im good at doing work with wiring and all that it just confuses me when im trying to figure out in my head what goes to what and how im going to do it, hard to explain, i want a SIMPLE SYSTEM (BANG FOR LITTLE BUCK, USING STOCK HEAD UNIT) nothing to fancy, i want a decent sound quality with pretty good sound and a sub and amp combo for some bass

·
Registered
163 Posts
The place I learned how to setup all this stuff was caraudio.com, great forums there that can teach you everything you want to know.

I don't know how anemic the amp in the stock head unit is, but it would probably be fine to power your front and rear speakers if you don't want to amp them.

Sony is a terrible brand for car audio, look around a bit more if Sony is the path you're considering.

And please don't quote the "max power" stats like you've done so far when mentioning your proposed setup. "Max watts" or "max power" mean nothing, essentially. Always go by RMS power for both subs and amps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The place I learned how to setup all this stuff was caraudio.com, great forums there that can teach you everything you want to know.

I don't know how anemic the amp in the stock head unit is, but it would probably be fine to power your front and rear speakers if you don't want to amp them.

Sony is a terrible brand for car audio, look around a bit more if Sony is the path you're considering.

And please don't quote the "max power" stats like you've done so far when mentioning your proposed setup. "Max watts" or "max power" mean nothing, essentially. Always go by RMS power for both subs and amps.
yea i kinda figured that out i think i would go with some kenwood 6.5 for the front with a 70w RMS and kenwood 6x9 for the rear with a 110w RMS then i would like to run a LOC (line out converter) from one of my rear speakers and run that to an amp powering a sub

·
Registered
163 Posts
That sounds good, but I'd look into some Kenwoods with a lower RMS rating since you're keeping the stock head unit. Something no higher than 50 as the max. Specifically, look at the stat "sensitivity". You would want that as high as possible for a setup using a stock head unit, at least somewhere higher than 90db to take full advantage of the limited power input you're using.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds good, but I'd look into some Kenwoods with a lower RMS rating since you're keeping the stock head unit. Something no higher than 50 as the max. Specifically, look at the stat "sensitivity". You would want that as high as possible for a setup using a stock head unit, at least somewhere higher than 90db to take full advantage of the limited power input you're using.
would anyone know any sites that have a good selection of car audio parts that ship to canada cheep or free?

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

so i did some looking around and found a site with shipping to canada and good prices, for the front im looking at a set of Clarion SRG1623R with a max RMS of 40w with the built in center tweeter (39.99), for the rear im looking at a set of 6x9 Kenwood KFC-6965S with a RMS of 45w and a 2inch center tweeter (49.99) now all i need is a amp and 10-12inch sub combo, what would be a good bang for buck amp and sub? (only using amp to power sub) and i heard somewhere that if you put a line out converter in from your rear speakers, you should only tap into one speaker, not both if your only putting in one sub witch is my plan.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I know you said you didn't want all of this, but.....you're really better off with preouts for the sub(s). This is actually a decent low-budget setup for right at $500.

Double-din Head Unit (22Wx4) $159.99 from Kenwood
Kenwood DPX300U

6x9 Deck Speakers (100W RMS) $74.99 and 5 1/4 Door Speakers (45W RMS) $44.99 from Polk Audio
Polk Audio DXi690 and Polk Audio DXi525

Mono Amplifier (300Wx1 @ 2 ohms) $119.99 from Infinity
Infinity Reference 1300a

10" DVC 4 ohm Subwoofer (275Wx1) $99.99 from Infinity
Infinity Reference Series 1062w

You would still need a box for the sub and RCA cables for the amp, but it would sound pretty good overall. You could also get a 4 channel amp later and be fine with these speakers, although a door speaker upgrade might be a good idea with that option. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
340 Posts
^^^Good Suggestions^^^

I love Crutchfield...great place for audio gear and you get everything needed for install. If you have questions on order, they have chat window engaged/ready to assist.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not to high jack ur post op but does anyone know if our stock hu can handle min of 40 watts speakers ?
And how do I know the neg from the positive wire

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know you said you didn't want all of this, but.....you're really better off with preouts for the sub(s). This is actually a decent low-budget setup for right at $500.

Kenwood DPX300U

6x9 Deck Speakers (100W RMS) $74.99 and 5 1/4 Door Speakers (45W RMS) $44.99 from Polk Audio

Infinity Reference 1300a

You would still need a box for the sub and RCA cables for the amp, but it would sound pretty good overall. You could also get a 4 channel amp later and be fine with these speakers, although a door speaker upgrade might be a good idea with that option. Just my 2 cents.
that was a big help and all but, i need them shipped to CANADA and everything costs more up here than in the states, and to get it shipped from the states im still looking at 100+ dollars to pay for border fees and shipping

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

Kenwood DPX300U

Infinity Reference 1300a

thanks for suggesting that head unit though

·
Registered
175 Posts
No worries. And you don't have to make your purchase on that site. Find another one where they have better shipping rates and search for those models. You might get lucky! I just used Crutchfield because they have a wide selection and a pretty good description of their items. They don't always have the best prices, however. They also have lots of information on how to match components, what the different specs mean and how important they really are, and wiring diagrams for subs and speaker setups.

Crutchfield.com Learning Center

You can learn a LOT at that link. You won't be an expert by any means, but you won't be going in blind either. It will answer many of the questions you will have while shopping.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Oh, and I had a Rockford Fosgate setup using a LOC. Now I have RCA cables. It DOES sound different (and by different I mean better). My stereo setup isn't competition worthy, but it bumps, sounds great, and is really loud when I want it to be. It cost me right at $1600. Budget setups can be done, and can sound great too!
  • JVC single-din head unit w/Bluetooth/Aux/USBx2
  • JBL 6.5" 2-way door speakers (60W)
  • JBL 6x9 3-way rear deck (80W)
  • Rockford Fosgate Punch P1 10" subwoofers (x2) plus sealed box
  • Kenwood Monoblock 300W amp
  • Alpine 75Wx4 4-channel amp

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No worries. And you don't have to make your purchase on that site. Find another one where they have better shipping rates and search for those models. You might get lucky! I just used Crutchfield because they have a wide selection and a pretty good description of their items. They don't always have the best prices, however. They also have lots of information on how to match components, what the different specs mean and how important they really are, and wiring diagrams for subs and speaker setups.

Crutchfield.com Learning Center

You can learn a LOT at that link. You won't be an expert by any means, but you won't be going in blind either. It will answer many of the questions you will have while shopping.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Oh, and I had a Rockford Fosgate setup using a LOC. Now I have RCA cables. It DOES sound different (and by different I mean better). My stereo setup isn't competition worthy, but it bumps, sounds great, and is really loud when I want it to be. It cost me right at $1600. Budget setups can be done, and can sound great too!
  • JVC single-din head unit w/Bluetooth/Aux/USBx2
  • JBL 6.5" 2-way door speakers (60W)
  • JBL 6x9 3-way rear deck (80W)
  • Rockford Fosgate Punch P1 10" subwoofers (x2) plus sealed box
  • Kenwood Monoblock 300W amp
  • Alpine 75Wx4 4-channel amp
i just bought the car, and the stereo isnt as bad as i thought for a cheap car, im going to put a basic amp and sub in just for some bass and i will probably upgrade all speakers in the future since i plan i daily driving the car

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.