Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just took my wive's 07 cobalt into the shop just to have it looked at before I do some work done on it. Before I bought the car about 9 months ago, I knew it was totalled out. So, they pointed out that they can't do an alignment because the engine cradle is bent, up against the engine, and what not. Basically; I need a new one. As well as rotor mounts I believe. They quoted me at $800..ish (The cradle being used from a junkyard of course.) That's with 3 hours of labor and what not. I would love to bring that price down, how much of that could I do on my own without having means to lift the car up into the air. They were saying it's pretty serious; and should be replaced before anything. Any help, or pointers are appreciated.

Thanks,
Rush

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well you need to have the car on a lift to change the cradle and motor mounts. $800 might be a little steep but maybe they saved themselves room in case something else pops up.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
800 seems about right for paying a shop to do it, but if you don't have the means to completely change it yourself I wouldn't recommend even trying to start on any of it. It's not a hard job but it does take a lot of time and patience. I changed one on a malibu last week just on jack stands and it is doable without a lift but it's not fun at all..
By the way the Malibu that I swapped engine cradles on was also quoted 800 for the job, picked up one from a junkyard for 90 and spent about 5 hours total on my back on the concrete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.