Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello forum dwellers! I have finally gotten sick and tired of my Cobalt's stock audio and have decided to upgrade. The door speakers have recently been shorting out and after searching the nets, I found this to be a common problem due to the cheap speakers from Mexico. I have the stock bare bones 07 Cobalt it is manual, no steering controls, manual windows etc.

I have decided to go with the following set-up:

JBL GTO638 6.5 3-way - for the fronts

JBL GTO938 6x9 3-way - for the backs

JL audio 4 channel 360W Class A/B Amp (70W/4Ch RMS)

Before I pull the trigger I would like to know the forums input positive and negative on my choices. Also regarding installation, what would be the best way to install this amplifier. I have researched various harnesses and I really don't care about keeping chimes and what not I really just want it to work, although with minimal cutting of wires if possible. I originally was just going to add the four speaker but I then decided to add the amp based on the paltry RMS wattage of the stock head unit. Before adding the amp I was going to use this harness:

So in summary:
1. Critique my current set-up.
2. What would be the best installation method including harness and whatever else I need, while keeping in mind I would like to not spend 100 bucks on a harness. Or perhaps I don't even need a harness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Car audio -2007 Lt fully loaded

I just installed an MTX 800 Watt 4 channel amp with Kenwood 450w 4 way 6x9's and Kenwood 250w 3way 6 1/2 inch door speakers....6x9's were a nightmare because the factory installs the stock speakers and wiring BEFORE they install the rear window. (you will figure that one out guaranteed). I used a Scosche 4 chan. and there are serious whining issues. Yes I optimized the gain at the converter and set up the amp manually. I wired the amp's "remote on" to the Sunroof fuse (best known option so stereo works with Acc and shuts off when the door opens). I am hoping someone replies to this and offers some advice on how to eliminate the engine whine without a capacitor.

Darkannon

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just be careful not to over drive the 6.5s. The 6x9s should be good though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.