What should I do?

• Trade it for another car

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fix everything

Votes: 0 0.0%

2007 Cobalt LS

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  runmyworld 
#1 ·
I JUST BOUT THIS CAR LAST MONTH!!! Along with all of these problems I need a front end alignment, the bar to slide the seat back is missing to the passenger side, and the seats need to be cleaned..BAD. ALSO need a new paint job, radio, and speakers.. Wanna get power windows and automatic locks as well..
Font Material property Design Paper Parallel

See less See more
#2 ·
Every Cobalt on the road is @ replacement age, this is true of every pre-2012 model year car of any brand.

I have been really lucky with mine, only one major repair for $1,200. This car has saved me $$$ from not having a car payment for years. Mine is getting dinged like crazy because it's older and dents easier.

If you have bad credit or little savings, keep it and fix things as you go, but don't pony up on a major repair IF you also need a couple grand in basic repairs. Spending $4k on a car this old probably doesn't make sense unless it's a coupe and you love two door cars which are harder to find affordable. $1,800 a year in repairs (major and routine) is the maximum you should spend on any used car that isn't valuable monetarily or personally, but again if it's a coupe and that's your thing fix it and drive it until it becomes to much of a hassle to keep.

There are still a few new cars out there for around $15k if you have have a couple grand for a down payment and good credit. For a couple grand down your better off in a new cheap car (Sonic/Trax) with a three year bumper to bumper warranty. They will be made overseas if that matters.

#3 ·
I paid $300 for my ‘06 sedan. I’m in it about $1600 plus the $300 I paid for it. It’s been about 2 years now that I’ve owned. Better than an expensive car payment.

You say you need an alignment. But have you replaced any parts yet? If you haven’t, expect the control arms, struts, sway bar frame bushings and sway bars, and maybe some tie rod ends being in need of replacement. At around 130,000 miles, mine was needing struts and control arm bushings.

#5 ·
I have a 2007 Cobalt Base with A/C and auto trans. I have had a lot of electrical problems with mine. I am lucky that their is nothing hard to fix on this car.
As of today my car has 119,000 miles on it and still runs good. Never had a wheel alignment, but had breaks done, replace struts and shocks myself.
For the radio I read a lot of people were losing their speakers, maybe shorting out. I had the problem, replace everything with a amp, stereo and all new speakers and ran my own wire.
Since I have been pulling trim off for years all the taps started breaking, I just ordered all ( New ) parts off Ebay. I will keep the car till it won't run anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.