Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend smashed up her 07 cobalt lt and I had to replace the trans and the engine oil pan. Everything has gone back together pretty well but I have run into an issue, and the problem is that my source material is gone.
I took pictures of my work as I disassembled everything on my phone and well those pictures have now since gone "poof". Keep in mind I had to replace the starter. When I removed the small connector the stud on the starter snapped off flush and with 140K on it, figured a newer used one couldn't hurt.

~I believe I got 99% of everything together, but the battery cables and grounds (basically everything that is not a connector) I fear may not be correct. At the moment I had it hooked up to my 9-3 to jump it but I get nothing, not even a click out of the starter. I checked the starter by moving the solenoid and making sure it wasn't stuck (stupid me... I didn't stick it to a battery tho check and see if it jumped... fear this will haunt me now...) I do know that it is getting power properly as all the electronics are on, fans work everything. And the battery has begun to recharge. I left my car charging it for a good 15 mins almost and sadly no success. I also tapped the started a few times and no difference.

~I have no check engine codes except for me having pulled the fuel pump relay

~Nothing appears to be stuck. When I put the drive train back together I spun the engine a few times by hand and heard no horrible noises and observed the axle joints spinning.

Figured I would make sure I have it wired up correctly. Also can anyone tell me how many cables are indeed attached to the grounding point on the front of the auto trans? I used wiring diagrams to figure it was 2 but I am not entirely certain. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Picture of how I have it wired up.

2 lines to the large connector from the top. 1 from the battery post and 2nd from the alternator.

Then one small connector from a wiring harness that travels between the starter and cooling fan.

I have a haynes manual but the wiring looks different and if I swapped the wires according to how they look in the book the one end would not fit so I think I have it right and they are showing a different model yr.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
2 ground wires go to the stud where transmission joins the engine. Did you re-attach the engine grounding strap?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The strap that goes to the mounting point on the valve cover? If so, yes.

And good at least I have that right. I suppose more and more this is turning out to being an issue with my "refurbed" starter. *sigh*

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

And also the vehicle was off the road for a good long time and the battery died. Is there a chance the anti theft system could be kicking in? Say after a time without power, the key is no longer mated to the ecu or whichever device dictates that?

Sorry for a lesser knowledge on cobalts, I'm generally used to working on volvos and saabs. Thanks again for any help you guys provide.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If theft deterent was on you would have a flashing padlock icon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.