Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm wanting to install a turbo on my 2007 2.2 auto trans. I'm not looking for high boost right away. My main problem is finding a way to tune the car after installing the turbo kit. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Looks like you're new to the forums, so welcome!

As far as your turbo build goes; first, make sure you read through and understand the Parts to Turbo YOUR Car thread. It should get you off the ground.

For tuning options, you've really only got 2 choices:
  1. ZZP Email Tune (Requires access to HPTuners)
  2. Local dyno tune
If you've got a copy of HPTuners, or know someone who has one, option 1 isn't bad. @rrob5382 used their email tune for his supercharged build, so he may have valuable thoughts on it.

The local dyno tune will really vary based on where you are, but it's also a pretty good option.

Finally, if you can beg Trifecta to send you an email tune, they're generally well regarded, but they stopped offering tunes for boosted base models sometime last year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am new to the forum. This is my second cobalt. I used to have a 2005 sedan and I loved it but it rotted out. Now I have my 2007 coupe and I'm looking into the zzp stage one turbo kit. I know I'll only be able to boost it to 4-5 psi for now. I'm thinking about buying the HPtuners software I just don't know if it's worth it. I've never tuned a computer before. I've built old carbed small block chevys before so I'm new to the tuning scene.

·
Registered
949 Posts
ECU tuning is pretty tricky from what I understand. Unless you're ready & willing to spend lots of time figuring it out, buying HPTuners probably isn't worth it.

Also, just so you know, I went with ZZP's supercharger kit, and encountered lots of issues with it, so I'd highly suggest piecing together a kit instead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thank you. I'll start looking around and piece one together. I wouldn't mind learning how to tune because I plan on keeping this car a long time. I bought it from my father in law a month ago and it had a brand new timing chain and tensioners and head gasket up. It has roughly 109,000 miles. For some reason it won't let me upload a picture of it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yeah, I've never been able to upload directly to YourCobalt. I usually just upload to imgur, then use the image's url in the img tag.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
For what it's worth, zzp won't be doing my tuning this time around. While I don't blame the tune for the failure, I wasn't too thrilled with the experience. Where are you located? Plenty of good tuners for these cars

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
It's a shame Vince (Trifecta) doesn't seem to do the non-LNF tunes anymore, other than legacy-updates for those he did in the past.

@Parthros, didn't ZZP do your initial tune and botch the shit out of it?

·
Registered
949 Posts
@Parthros, didn't ZZP do your initial tune and botch the shit out of it?
No, they actually never got around to doing the tune. The shop that did the install reached out to ZZP the day I dropped off my car. I think ZZP finally got back to them like 7 days later, and they were asking for like 4x the price that the install shop was expecting. At that point, we decided to go with a local dyno tune, which the first version of that wasn't great. It ran, but had some weird issues. Luckily, that shop's super reasonable, and willing to do drivability updates until you're satisfied.

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
That's what it was...something must've changed with ZZP, because they used to be way better...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So would you recommend just sending my cores straight to HPtuners themselves and letting them know what I got. And should i run 3" piping and exhaust so if I when I go forged internals I can turn up the boost and not have to worry about flow

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
A turbo car definitely will want a 3" exhaust all the way back, so I would recommend that, yes.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hp tuners doesn't actually tune, it's just the software that allows you to tune. Lots of people tune it though just a matter of finding somebody somewhat local or buying a tuner and doing email tunes. Being close to Pittsburg though you should be able to find somebody in the Pittsburg area I think. The guy that is doing my tuning is over in fort Wayne but that looks like quite a drive for you haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
ECU tuning is pretty tricky from what I understand. Unless you're ready & willing to spend lots of time figuring it out, buying HPTuners probably isn't worth it.

Also, just so you know, I went with ZZP's supercharger kit, and encountered lots of issues with it, so I'd highly suggest piecing together a kit instead.
what kinda issues did you run into?what would be the best way about piecing it together?

·
Registered
949 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.