Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motor has 74k on it and I was told by a repair shop the timing chain tensioner failed and the motor would cost 5k+ to rebuild, I am debating on rebuilding it myself or just buying a new engine to swap, I have rebuilt engines before I am not a professional mechanic and won't get it done over Nite but any one who has rebuilt this motor have any ideas or advice I would appreciate it, I know it is a big job and can be time consuming but I am up for a challenge.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You can probably get a junkyard motor with reasonable miles for like 500-600 dollars. You and a friend can change it in a long day and a case of beer. I would say this is your best bet. You can tinker with the dud engine after at least you'll have a car on the road. And for GOD sake change the tensionner on the replacement motor before you start it up.

·
Registered
922 Posts
you can buy a newish engine for the 2.2 for way less.... the shop is probably giving you the price for pulling the current engine, buying another one, and installing it... 5k is pretty steep for repairing the 2.2 unless they were buying everything seperately.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
2008 2.2 ecotech

Wow thanks for the fast reply, Coby7 sent you a p.m. I have another vehicle to drive in the mean time, I guess what I'm getting at is if I'm going to all the trouble of dropping the motor I want to put something reliable back in, since I don't have A shop and this will be a garage event how technical is this motor to rebuild? It is funny because I have built a few small block race motors but this little guy has me weary, just got done with a 97 cavalier but this motor is much newer and technologicaly advanced.I have priced rebuild kits plus new valves and I'm coming in at around 1500 to get back to stock.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Some where on one of the forums, there was a guy the blew the 2.2 in his car and put in a 2.4 with vvt, he had to wire in a sensor and get the ecu reflashed with the 2.4 tune, but he said it works flawlessly now.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You would have to pull the head to make sure pistons aren't punched and connecting rods aren't bent. If timing chain had jumped more than one link and the garage cranked the engine to do a compression test well you see the results no compression on any of the cylinders anymore because they probably bent the rest of the valves.

·
Registered
922 Posts
.... LNF/LDK brand new and complete, is something like 3000K from ZZP...

But if you swap from the 2.2 to any of the 2.0s he would need a new trans, clutch, I also think he would need to swap the shifter assembly. Also intercooler, downpipe, exhaust, intake manifold, stock/aftermarket intake, charge pipe, ecu, bcm, tune and a bunch of other supporting mods to make either of them happen.

It would be way easier and cheaper to just build the stock 2.2 for boost.

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

$3000 2.0 Turbo Engine (NEW)
Chevrolet Pontiac Saturn Ecotec LNF LDK 2 0L Turbo Engine Brand New | eBay

$1000 SS Transmission (USED)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRANSMISSION-MANUAL-2009CHEVROLET-COBALT-2-0L-41k-/181292206413?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2009|Model:Cobalt|Submodel:SS&hash=item2a35db894d&vxp=mtr

I'm just saying that's $4000 off the rip, and then you still need the supporting mods, and other random pieces to make it work. To build the 2.2 and add the supporting mods you would need you would spend quite a bit less, because there are kits that already have everything you need.

·
Registered
922 Posts
but he already has the engine, so he'd save $3000 there. The LNF trans is expensive, so he would save some cash there as well. With the $1000 saved by not needing to swap the trans he can buy forged internals for the 2.2. and with the $3000 from not buying the engine he can get a turbo set up from ZZP, and that kit pretty much includes everything he would need... with the exception of the dp and exhaust I'm pretty sure....

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool to see a LNF or a LDK in an LS or a 2.2... I'd like to see it done, but it's a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
He has to rebuild his engine. That won't be free, it will take time, and there's no guarentee it will work the way it should. Why not start fresh with a new engine? Either way it's going to be a pita. We don't even know if the OP wants all that power or just needs to get from point A to point B.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I do know the 2.2 to 2.4 engine swap is pretty easy though, it would be a pretty easy way to give the car some more pep, with out having to do a whole lot to it to make it work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2008 2.2 ecotech

I am looking for a reliable motor, it is my girls car and she just needs dependable transportation, the timing of the motor going sucks she just paid it off and two months out of warranty, don't really need any excess power a stock motor would be fine, seems like a new crate is around 3k or 1.5k for the rebuild kit plus a few other things. I have never tangled with this motor and I'm learning everything I can and appreciate all the input.either way a rebuild or a crate I still have to drop it out so I just want sure if it was an easy rebuild or if I should just get another motor and save must some headache.the one thing I don't have is a wad of cash to drop on it, not trying to cut corners but I need to be effective for my dollar.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Low mileage junkyard motor is your best bet. With it being out just drop the oil pan and that should give you a good idea on it's condition based on the oil as well as doing a pressure test.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Like I said minimum headache, get a good junkyard engine as close as possible to the her year Cobalt, in this case 07-08 I think are the same. Take a day or 2 to pull and replace. You won't need to reflash CPUs and it should start right up. New plugs, new tensionner, new oil, new coolant and it will run like new after ECM recalibrates sensors. Then explain to your daughter the reason for the dip stick and how to add oil. This will have the minimum impact on your wallet. If you can take pictures when you rip the old engine out, they always come in handy upon reassembly. You might need to get a short wrench for a few bolts on the bell housing, not a lot of room to maneuvre.

·
Registered
922 Posts
You can buy a lower mileage engine anywhere from $500 to $1000. Same thing with the reuild kit it looks like it would be about $800 for the kit on ebay. I want to eventually build my 2.2 in my LS, but I don't think I'll do that untill it blows up.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hell you can get a complete head pretty cheap...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.