Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me - Run a heavy equipment business and I'm pretty darn familiar with mechanical things.

I have a 2008 Cobalt 2.2. I put the motor in the car about a year ago and I had no oil leaks (previous owner blew the original motor up). I put about 10,000 miles on the current motor and now it's leaking oil pretty bad and started all the sudden. Probably leaking around 1 quart if you would drive it for 20 minutes. I looked at it pretty good and I could not tell where the oil is coming from (the leak is towards the left rear side of motor) so I took it to a garage (not a huge fan of most garages because a lot of them take advantage of their customers) and they said it was the valve cover so I decided to take their word. I decided to do it myself because the gasket is actually pretty easy to get to on this motor. After $52.00 for the garage to tell me its the valve cover gasket and $30.00 gasket, it's still leaking just the same. And yes, I can feel all around the valve cover and no oil is leaking from where it seats to the head.

So at this point I really have no clue.....

1. You can't see the rear side of the motor because it near the firewall and on the left rear part of the motor there is a lot of carp there (wires, fuel line, heater core hoses, thermostat, coolant lines, etc.)
  2. Oil starts to appear on the top side of the heat shield that's above the manifold.
  3. If you increase the RPS to even only 2 or 3 thousand you can see oil flinging around in the left rear side of the motor (almost like if you mixed compressed air and oil how it would spit and spray).

Questions
  1. What is on the head at the left rear side where oil could get to the out side of the motor?
  2. Can oil leak out of the head gasket area on this motor if it's bad or blown?
Help please

·
Say What again!
6,378 Posts
Do you have access to a borescope? It might be worth snaking one back there to watch while someone else holds revs at a point where you notice the most "flinging". I can't think of anything, other than a head gasket - which would be odd - that would be a point for an oil leak on the back of the engine, but even that doesn't seem right. I presume you're not seeing any coolant mixing with oil, or any strange running symptoms?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not noticed any oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. I was also thinking the head gasket but I also thought that would be odd my self. I am going to take the car to another garage in a few days for one last ditch effort. I do not have a borescope but that is one thing I will try before I take it to the garage. Thanks for the idea.

·
Say What again!
6,378 Posts
Not a problem! A borescope has definitely come in handy for me before.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Usually if I’m going to find an oil leak I’ll power wash the engine. Then run the engine to pinpoint the area. Hard to find a leak when the oil has caused dirt to stick and make it hard to see.

As far as anything back there like a pressure switch or something removable that might leak, no. There’s a coolant sensor, nothing that’ll leak oil. You may leak oil through the head gasket. Maybe a corroded valve cover. Actually just had to replace an aluminum valve cover from a Honda V6 that couldn’t be resealed. Literally ate through, they live the the bay. So lots of salt it doesn’t help.

I really can’t tell from your pictures though. I recommend clean the oil off quite well. Then you can easily find it.

My 2.2 has started to seep oil from the valve cover and oil pressure switch. Also leaks at the rear main crank seal. Not real bad, but I’ll have to fix it at sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Could be the timing cover gasket/front main/gasket around water pump.

My 06 stratus needs a front main and slings oil all over the place (haven't done it yet since its the back up car to my ion that needs a clutch)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Have you washed the engine down yet. That is going to be the best option for finding your leak. Obviously you don’t want to get water into the ignition coil area or directly into the alternator. Definitely avoid spraying them down. But that should be a common sense thing really. Maybe down spray the air filter as well. Again I think you would know better but then again I have cars come to my shop that people just don’t know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope you found your issue by now but if not the only thing is a failed head gasket or or of course a cracked head. And it sounds like the oil is under alot of pressure to be slinging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts