Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front speakers work intermittently. When they work, they both work as do chimes. When not, neither works. There seems to be power to the plug in the door jams but not past the plug towards the speakers when they don't work. The dealer said need to replace both harnesses ($400 + labor) but doesn't make sense they would both go off and on if they were not somehow connected elsewhere. Any ideas? I've checked all connections I could and don't see any corrosion or fuse issues.
Thanks

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
The chimes play through the speakers. Your speakers are probably just going out. Replace the speakers and you should be all set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. I don't think the speakers are going since when they do come on, they both come on at the same time and are both very good. It's more an issue of power not making it to the speakers, but I can't figure out the exact signal flow from the radio to the speakers, At some point the 2 speakers must have a common connection, either ground or pos. which isn't making a good connection. Just can't figure out where.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Do you have stock amplified system? Pull your radio and verify the dash harness isn't fraying and shorting against the dash structure. That's a common place for failure.

My front speakers used to cut in and out sometimes independently sometimes simultaneously. Speakers were bad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
My front speakers used to cut in and out sometimes independently sometimes simultaneously. Speakers were bad.
Yep - just like mine did (hence my post). Common problem, different symptoms for different cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Yes, stock amp. I did pull the radio and everything looked good there, but I might do it again to check more closely. Are there wires going from harness plug at radio that go directly to the speakers? I guess I should check those for voltage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.