Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. First I will acknowledge that it seems very easy to have an oil leak from not properly placing the gasket on the oil filter cap, from a hairline crack in the plastic top, etc. But this leak is NOT coming from the cap, not from the gasket area, etc. It is behind the aluminum oil filter housing as far as I can tell and oil is in the space where the filter housing attaches to the engine block. If I run a dry paper towel horizontally around the oil filter housing, there is NO oil on the paper towel. The leak is NOT from the housing/cap assembly. There is also oil on the metal "shelf" just to the right (when standing, facing towards firewall) on the metal shelf that comes off the transmission and has a stamping on it. The oil also collects there.

I have replaced the oil cap, played with the placement of the cap gasket endlessly and I still have oil behind and below the alum housing. It has nothing to do with the oil pressure screw-in as that is nowhere near where the oil leak is. The oil pressure screw-in is way to the left of the oil filter housing and the oil is not coming from there.

I have heard of the possibility of a crack in the engine block leaking oil but do not see the crack. Is there any way to remove the oil housing? I believe it is cast as one piece with the aluminum engine block. Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you, Reuben

·
Registered
507 Posts
Check your oil pressure sending unit. They have been known to develope a crack and leak oil. Since it is just below the oil filter cap, many times, it is assumed the oil came from there.

I suggest you carfully use a pressure washer and clean the area well. Then recheck for oil leaks soon After you cleaned the area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your oil pressure sending unit. They have been known to develope a crack and leak oil. Since it is just below the oil filter cap, many times, it is assumed the oil came from there.

I suggest you carfully use a pressure washer and clean the area well. Then recheck for oil leaks soon After you cleaned the area.
Thank you for your help. Much appreciated. Reuben

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your help. Much appreciated. Reuben
I bought a new oil pressure sensor on Amazon together with the socket recommended to take off the old one. The oil pressure sensor is in a very difficult place to reach with all kinds of thick electrical wiring harnesses and radiator hoses running in front of it. And it is buried sort of in a recess down behind and to left of oil filter housing. I am not the most experienced DIYer. Do I take all the electrical harness connectors apart and get them out of the way? And radiator hoses as well, in order to get a socket on the sensor? Obviously I have to get the electrical connector off of the sensor before putting a socket on it. But the other stuff in the way makes it very difficult from what I can see.

Am I exaggerating something that anybody could deal with by just disconnecting the electrical connector to the sensor and reaching in blind and putting a socket on the sensor itself? I hate reaching in blind anywhere on a car. At my level of competence, I usually need to see what I am taking out and putting back.

Suggestions welcome. How have you gone about this? Thank you, Reuben

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a new oil pressure sensor on Amazon together with the socket recommended to take off the old one. The oil pressure sensor is in a very difficult place to reach with all kinds of thick electrical wiring harnesses and radiator hoses running in front of it. And it is buried sort of in a recess down behind and to left of oil filter housing. I am not the most experienced DIYer. Do I take all the electrical harness connectors apart and get them out of the way? And radiator hoses as well, in order to get a socket on the sensor? Obviously I have to get the electrical connector off of the sensor before putting a socket on it. But the other stuff in the way makes it very difficult from what I can see.

Am I exaggerating something that anybody could deal with by just disconnecting the electrical connector to the sensor and reaching in blind and putting a socket on the sensor itself? I hate reaching in blind anywhere on a car. At my level of competence, I usually need to see what I am taking out and putting back.

Suggestions welcome. How have you gone about this? Thank you, Reuben

THIS IS THE LOCATION OF THE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR BUT IT IS NOT A CLEAR SHOT TO IT AS IT APPEARS IN THIS IMAGE. AS I indicated, there are a ton of wire harnesses and hoses in front and it is very difficult to see. You do NOT have this kind of clear view. Thank you, Reuben

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
You should be able to do it with little trouble since you have a new sending unit and socket.
The most difficult problem will be unlocking the electrical connector. Then again, once you see how it locks on and where to press the connectors lock it is a quick job unlocking & removing the electrical connector without damage.
And yes you will need to do most all of this blinds since once your hand is in pressing on the lock you can’t see it.... there is just enough room to get it done. Then the R&R of the sensor will be very simple. Use ample thread sealer and torque to the recommended spec. Remember, this is a small diameter pipe into an aluminum block. You can over torque with little effort.

A 3 inch to 4inch mirror works wonders with a bright light. Those free Harbor Freight lights are nice for something!!!
Enjoy

·
Say What again!
6,106 Posts
Hmm, this all reminds me that perhaps I should solve my oil leak I've had for...like six years. It's coming from the same area. With the M62 right there, it makes it a bit tough to see if it's from the filter cap, gasket, or actually underneath.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should be able to do it with little trouble since you have a new sending unit and socket.
The most difficult problem will be unlocking the electrical connector. Then again, once you see how it locks on and where to press the connectors lock it is a quick job unlocking & removing the electrical connector without damage.
And yes you will need to do most all of this blinds since once your hand is in pressing on the lock you can’t see it.... there is just enough room to get it done. Then the R&R of the sensor will be very simple. Use ample thread sealer and torque to the recommended spec. Remember, this is a small diameter pipe into an aluminum block. You can over torque with little effort.

A 3 inch to 4inch mirror works wonders with a bright light. Those free Harbor Freight lights are nice for something!!!
Enjoy
Thank you for taking the time to reply and explain. Appreciate your help very much! Reuben

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, this all reminds me that perhaps I should solve my oil leak I've had for...like six years. It's coming from the same area. With the M62 right there, it makes it a bit tough to see if it's from the filter cap, gasket, or actually underneath.
MP81, pleasure to hear from you again!! Yes, I spent the last year trying to figure out whether I was incorrectly putting the gasket on the plastic cap when changing oil (relatively easy to do compared to screwing a standard old-time metal oil filter) or whether it was a cracked plastic cap (bought a new cap), etc. I have concluded it must be from the oil pressure sensor because the oil cap/gasket/oil housing is simply not leaking and there is ALWAYS oil on surfaces around there. The aluminum oil housing is one piece forged with the engine block and cannot be removed (as far as I can see). No bolts, screws, anything (someone else know better?). So for a few dollars, and since EVERYONE says the oil pressure sensors leak oil, I will try to replace the sensor and see what happens. At most I will be out $10 or less. I cannot see the leak coming from there or anywhere else even when I completely clean the area, drive the car, pop the hood, and there is oil there yet again but without an evident source. Yes, I could start the engine, pop the hood and watch what goes on but not sure even then would figure it out. So, I will give this a try. Minor part and I know I should not have trouble with this but, again, not an experienced mechanic so ordinary things are a bit difficult. Making progress but no mechanical genius.

Thanks for writing in. You are a good man. Reuben

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ll be doing the same this weekend. Been racking my brain trying to see where the leak is from, it sounds like the same place as it’s dripping above the starter. Thanks for all the great info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey about your mysterious oil leak I would hint towards the O rings on crank sensor. Noticed mine seeping oil there trying to figure out an intermittent no tac abs trac hiccup that's now a no start just cranks its gotta be a broken wire

1 - 12 of 12 Posts