Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, New to the forums :eek: i just bought myself a nice little 2008 cobalt only 102k miles on it for a steal nothing wrong with it but since i got it from the lot there has been a check engine light. i took it to advanced and autozone and they both said its a fuel efficiency code and to just use higher octane gas and c-foam. when i asked the specific code they didn't tell me so im at a loss... i'm about to go on a road trip tomorrow (dolly wood) and it has been EATING gasoline like crazy, i have been using 87 octane and only drove a little bit and it keeps going empty :/ any help would be great! When i was looking over his shoulder it said something like cata efficiency?

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
"cata efficiency" probably refers to the catalytic converter not working properly. You might need a new cat. If you do, and want to save some money by doing it yourself, I've got a whole downpipe I could sell ya fairly cheap. It'd be easier than welding in a new cat.

Also, before you go replacing anything, find out exactly what that code is. I got one of these scanners from Amazon for $14.

EDIT: I think the XFE was only available in a manual, which means my downpipe wouldn't work for ya. :/

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah im going to get me a ob2 reader i think first if its the cata i plan on doing a full cataback exaust with a flowmaster exhaust, when it comes to exaust work i usually just get that at a shop. Also was curious any of you have the k&n Cold air intake, i plan on getting that and some window tint all asap

·
Registered
266 Posts
just take the pipe off at the cat and stick a broom handle in there and unclog it yourself, youll be fine just make sure you get all the stuff out of it!!

j/k dont do that lol, id just go with a new downpipe and just bolt that bad boy in.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yeah im going to get me a ob2 reader i think first if its the cata i plan on doing a full cataback exaust with a flowmaster exhaust, when it comes to exaust work i usually just get that at a shop. Also was curious any of you have the k&n Cold air intake, i plan on getting that and some window tint all asap
I've got a K&N short ram on mine right now. I really like the way it makes it sound throatier. It might be up for sale in the next month or two since I'm switching to a supercharger and won't need it any more.

For the catback, that's different piping than the piece that has the cat in it, so you'll still need to replace the downpipe. If you want to make power, then you might as well do a full exhaust. General recommendation is ZZP midlength header & downpipe with the 2.5" ZZP catback, although a Magnaflow catback would probably be great as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had a magnaflow cat back on my 97 vw jetta trek until i flipped it in a terrible car wreck and now i got this bad boy i was on the highway with a Ferrari yesterday side by side could only push 115 and he took off i swair 200 mph easy >.< saw those brimbo breaks and gave him the thumbs up lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just went to advanced and wrote it down this time its a p0420 code catalyst system efficiency below threshold, i also noticed if im trying to give the car a little power being over 4k rpm it bogs down and kinds revs up and down i assume from this issue :/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.