Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2008 Cobalt LT Stereo Install (with Pics) :)

50K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  darryl2786 
#1 ·
Thread for removing dash trim is already made.. however let me say that i have no idea how he got them off that easy!
PS. This is a non on star install

I had to almost get help to pull them off lol.
With all the trim around the stereo off, it should look like this. Remover the 4 screws holding the stock deck in place.

once removing the 4 screws, the back of the deck looks like this

Just a close up to help show the back of the stock deck

remove the harnesses and the antenna

This is the harness I used $160... but I suppose it was worth it

disconnect the battery negative then positive, please do it in that order. You will know if you have done it wrong :p

at this point you can attach the harness to the stock ones. it is impossible to hook them up wrong as they will only fit in the proper ones.

I separated the wires which go to the speakers just to keep things a little more organised. Almost all wires except one just had to be connected to the same color wire

i started stripping and wrapping the like colored wire together as per the schematic. this Sony deck was very easy as the wires were the same colors. This may or may not be the case on other brands

continue connecting all wires until you are left with a blue/white one, which will be your amps remote wire

with everything temporarily connected hook up the deck and insure that everything is working, speakers, sub, door chimes and etc.
YAY FIRST TRY!! lol

Double check that everything is right and nothing was missed

stick your hand in if necessary to insure that nothing impedes the back of the deck

screw it back in using the stock 4 screws that were removed earlier, and put the trim back on in reverse order

Much sexier

My temporary sub and enclosure, sounds good for now

This is the first deck I have ever installed, i did it on my own other than the great help I got reading through this forum. It took me about 2 hours (taking pictures as I worked) With little to no knowledge of stereo equipment. Best $50 I every saved.

If you have any question i will be more than happy to answer them

Darryl

See less See more
#3 ·
let me know if I missed anything :)
(I know what i missed! running the remote wire and your RCA cables from your amp to the deck... Get them from the back of the deck, to the passengers foot area. The remote wire can be easily tucked under the door trim to the trunk however the RCA's will require a bit more creativity lol)

#4 ·
cool. JBL subs hit HARD! but I heard less so in bandpass boxes for some reason. I got 2 of the new GTO's in vented enclosure and they POUND!!! nice pics and great job on the install. now that you've done one, you won't ever want to pay to get another head unit installed in the future! I love car audio installs :D

#6 ·
nice write up. chev definately was nice when they designed the hu set up. definately an easy DIY. unlike the rest of the car lol

#7 · (Edited)
anyone have a how-to on hiding RCA cables? lol

Anyone know of any major differences w/ double din's. Install places jack-up the price with doubles, and I cannot imagine why it's be that much more difficult.

I was just about to pay BB $100 for this...seems way to easy. thanks for the write-up.

#8 ·
Sweet write up man, I'm thinking about getting a new deck and I was kinda worried about doing it myself, this helped tamp down those fears for me :)

#10 ·
the box is what allows you to keep door chimes, and all other sounds that would be lost with a cheap $20 harness. it's just part of the harness

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

sucks not having the steering wheel controls for volume and such, but I do not regret it at all.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

double din is the exact same, you just use a different spacer/plastic holder. I imagine it would be a little more difficult to get it in there perfect with all the wires but I can't see it being all that hard...

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Oooo and my sub is a Pioneer in a JBL Bandpass :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.