Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a smell of fuel in the exhaust and I have trouble starting the car after it sits for a while. When I turn the key it won't fire right away, when I let go of the key it keeps cranking for a few seconds then fires up. Any suggestions? I seen an old post on the subject, but I didn't see a resolution.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fuel smell in the exhaust could mean a fuel injector is leaking during shutdown, dumping too much fuel into the cylinder. By any chance does idle rough after it starts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't notice any rough idle when I started it this morning, I'm going to let it sit for a few hours and really pay attention next time. There no check engine light on. I can smell fuel inside when I am driving, but when i stop i can not pinpoint where the smell is coming from. It is very faint. I xont smell It directly from the exaust.There are no obvious signs of a leak. I am going to borrow a fuel pressure tester and check it out in a few hours.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I believe you'll find it leaking on top of the tank around the fuel pump. When it sits for too long the fuel bleeds out leaving air in the line. When it comes time to start, engine doesn't get fuel until the fuel pump fills the line again. Gas puddles on top of the tank, that's why you don't see any in the driveway. Then it evaporates hence the smell of gas.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Depending on which state you are in this issue had a recall. So check with your dealer first, never know.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Glad you found your problem. Coby is right, there is a tsb for certain Cobalts regarding the fuel pump lines cracking and causing the smell. Worth looking into!

My fuel pump was replaced under the special coverage years ago, it cracked so severely that gasoline was constantly dripping from the fuel tank when the engine was running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.