Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, purchased a 2008 2.2 with front end damage. The tube from the air cleaner to the air injection pump was bad and we replaced it. Keep getting a P0411 code for the air injection system. I already have done the following:

1) Test air pump relay
2) Test air solenoid relay
3) verified fuse are good
4) verified air pump runs
5) verified air solenoid operates
6) check for leaks

After all these tests I have cleared codes and with in 2-3 days it comes back. I have reviewed all the forums and googled this to wits end. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you change the pump? It might have been damaged in the accident.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the pump was not changed. I did pull it and verify that there wasn't any damage. As well as jumping the relay for the pump. I can here the pump run and when I jump the relay for the solenoid it also works.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well P0411 is Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Incorrect Air Flow Detected, so kink in the hose or bad pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no kink in the hose and when I remove the hose to the check valve and manually operate the pump I feel a large amount of air being blown to the valve.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Coby, according to the DTC list it says it is the secondary air injection system incorrect flow. Not insufficient. Maybe you're getting too much air from the pump or valve.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Btw, welcome OP. Hope we can help.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Is there some sort of check valves or more to the air pump besides basically a fan blowing air?
Oh yes lol :). They should have rheostats built in to them to automatically adjust the fan speed to keep the same flow. If that was damaged, the pump wouldn't be regulated thus be throwing more air than needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh okay. Thanks! I guess I will wait till the cel goes on again and then if it does pull the pump inspect and or replace.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
More than likely will be replace as 99% of rheostats are internal. Just some fyi. And you're welcome.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Don't know where you got that info!!! Pump is either on or off.

Conditions for Running the DTC
• P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0125, P0128, P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0300, P0412, P0418, P0420, P0606, P1106, P1107, P1111, P1112, P1114, P1115, P1635, P1639, P2430, P2431, P2432, P2433

• More than 60 minutes has elapsed since the last cold start.

• The system voltage is 9-18 volts.

• The BARO parameter is more than 70 kPa.

• The MAF sensor parameter is between less than 33 g/s.

• AIR system is commanded ON.

• Conditions are stable for more than 5 seconds.

• DTC P0411 runs once per trip start up when the above conditions are met and AIR pump operation is requested.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
• The difference between the predicted system pressure and the actual system pressure is more than 6 kPa.

• DTC P0411 sets within 22 seconds when the above conditions are met.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
P0411 isn't in that list.. lol

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

I am looking in all data right now about this.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Not suppose to be in the top list. If you read it says none of these codes has to be set for P0411 to be set.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Also you need to run the car at least an hour before pump test will be done after clearing of codes.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Lol I know Coby, I messin with ya lol

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Not messin' with me it's the poor OP that doesn't know where to turn now. Here's the SAI schematic maybe this will help you troubleshoot.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Is there some sort of check valves or more to the air pump besides basically a fan blowing air?
To answer this question....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Help posting

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Oh yes lol :). They should have rheostats built in to them to automatically adjust the fan speed to keep the same flow. If that was damaged, the pump wouldn't be regulated thus be throwing more air than needed.
Okay the light went back on so I pulled the pump again, disassembled the pump. the pump does not have any built in "rheostats" it is just a motor with two wires on it. The brushes look like they are near new, armature looks great, bearings and no play and the fan its self looks great. So now what?
---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

[/COLOR]I am tryign to post to a diff topic and he keeps looping me back to this one?

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

·
Registered
5 Posts
So did you ever get this fixed

I have a 09 Cobalt with the same symptoms. Pump seems fine and blows air but PO411 comes on. Changed pump and light still comes on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not sure what happened to my origional post. Some how every time I replied it was put here... Here is what I do know. My code has not come back on for a about a month and a half.

This is what I did...
1) Remove solenoid and cleaned body and made sure I had no carbon on the check valve
2) Test solenoid for operation, you can do this by jumping the relay and listening
3) Verify no leaks from air cleaner to pump and from pump to check valve

After the above I still has the problem so then I moved to number 4
4) Remove pump completely disassembled check brushes and wiring. I didn't see anything wrong so I reassembled and put it back on.

The air pump does not have any rheostats, it is a simple two wire motor.

I am not sure why the code has not come back. Every morning when it is 31 or colder I here the motor go on for a few minutes and back off. Which is what it is suppose to do. If you have any questions feel free to email me or reply here. [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well you must have done something, problems don't usually go away on their own. Sounds like your persistance paid off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.