Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daughter in transit from Charston to KC with her replacement for her dead 05LS. She is in an 08LT
She's made it to Knoxville and has problem with Cigerette Lighter power. I have owners manuals for 06-09 cobalts. The question is ...Does the Aux Outlet use the sqme fuse as the Cigerette Lighter.

I See the 06 manual says 2 fuses one labled trunk/outlet and LTR.....the 08 manual only has Outlet in the same possition as the 06 LTR. The fuse labled in the 06 as trunk/outlet is labled in the 08 as trunk/heated seats.

So, first is the Aux power port behind the e-brake, standard for an 08 LT and
does it use the same fuse as the cigerette lighter?
A body wiring diagram would be great....

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
No 2 separate fuses. Outlet is a 20 amp and lighter is a 15 amp.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ahh FAR out for the super fast reply.
Expecting call from her directly.
Will let he know. I did tell her of the Aux port to check and see if she had one.
The diff between 06 owners manual and the 08 left me ASSuME-ing and just needed to confirm.

I do hope she has a full bank of spair fuses.

Thanks again.
Ps....may need to steel her power windows/door locks for my 08 BC....she is use to hand cranking windows from her 05

Info just passed on she will pull both fuses in the AM to confirm. She Stated no power from either for he cell phone usb charger..I told her the charger could be dead or may not work on her Cobalt ports.
Let he know better quality parts might just work better....go figure.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update

Her 08 LT is moving again.
Seems GM changed wiring for 08 or other undocumented mods.
Both power outlets on the one 20A fuse OUTLET.

Bottom line. Just drive the car.....and if it makes that noise again...just turn the radio up.
That noise will go away soon enough.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I had a 2010 and an 08 and they both had separate fuses, somebody must have played with the wiring.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update
She made it to lexington, kt and lost RR tire. Found a Bridg stone dealer and got a matching replacement. Lots of excuses but they could not read LF sensor. Instead of fixing, she headed out, now in louisvill,kt @3:50cst. Claims speedo not stable.
Tach is stable, engine running well. Power to aux plug or cig lighter working. Cell phone charges.
Having her pull into Azone to buy code reader for herself or at least check for error codes.
Suspect she's loosing ground due to unstable speedo reading.

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

This is a 5sp std. 2008 LT

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Re-seat BCM connectors, GMLan signal goes through BCM before heading out to radio and instrument panel. Lots of cars from flood insurance found themselves back on the market when they were suppose to be sent to crusher, a lot of these cars have corrosion problems on the lower pins of the BCM. Incoming GMLan is on one of the lower pins.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just told he to do that 30 sec ago

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Ok
Both connectors unlocked & reseated 2 or 3 times. Getting he back on the road. Azone said no codes logged. Cant tell if any data was saved or not.
Will update once she is back on I-64 heading for st louis

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

No joy in mudville.

Both connectors and bcm fuse 25 swapped out with another good fuse.
She stated as soon as car started, speedo started jumping.
I asked her if she knew how to drive without a speedo? I said dont b passing everything on the road. We will see if it settels down in a few miles after she leaves loiusvile and gets into indiana.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Item #31

She only made it 70mi short of St Louis before she ran out of steam. Happy for her that she pulled into a motel for the night. Bummer that she is crossing st louis during rush hr.
In the daylight, i will have her look at the VSS connector #31 on the drawing

The connectors C1 & C2 were both disconnected and reseated several times along with the connectors on the ECM/PCM

From tonkin online parts
2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2DR 5-SPEED MANUAL TRANSAXLE

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Moving again

Now 20mi from St Louis and speedo setteled down.
Left front whell well liner has been cut off and she found the right wire & connector to adjust/wiggle.
She claims now after 30-ish miles no problems and speedo stable.
She is now monitering her speed and tach a bit closer.
Gawd ya gotta love it when they hear that popping sound.
She has also learned you dont need a key-fob to train the TPMS.
And has been offered a $150 bill, for a key-fob and programing, in order to be able to use a key-fob to train the TPMS.
Smart chickie, she passed on the offer.

I do need to get a good set of GM docs for these autos!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Does the car have cruise?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It doesnt have Cruise ....Yet.
Let me work on it a bit,and it WILL

She is now in KC Mo heading over to discount tire to have her TPMS probed and LF trained.
I,should hear back within an hr. Now @1:57Central since she is 5 min from end of her WONDERFUL adventure

--- Post added at 07:17 PM -- Previous post was at 06:59 PM
Ta Daaaa!!!!!

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

She now has an updated Silver 2008 Cobalt LT to replace her 2005 silver Cobalt LS that gave it's life saving yet another BLOND....Thanks BlondStar!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 AM ----------

Sorry about the fuzzy image just received. She is over nighting now in OKC. I expect to see it for the first time tues.
Still having a bit of the flakey spedo. She said she picked up the vss in St Louis.
At that time it had setteled down so...she just turned up the radio.
I'll chec it out when it arrives

Now i will bet there is not an RPO for remote start on a 5 sp due to no neutral/park switch. Having a nutral switch & parking break just will not due. Requires too much forthought about parking on a hill and in gear.

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

Now BarFox said it lived much of it's life in Ohio and only short while in SC. So, the i expect to see a wonderful color of burnt orange on the under side & salty connection on Vss not a shock. While there, I'll do the ground near the starter & shock tower. Clean & anticorrosion

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 AM ----------

Just a nice little LT
With Std features of an LT over LS

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Daughter finaly arrived here after 4:00pm after racking around Dallas-Ft Worth.
Filled to the brim from KC, and started the comments "Daddy can you......"

She had manged to drive from Charston, SC via Lexington, Knocksville, St Louis, KC K, OKC to Ardmore with the temp tag taped inside the dark tinted backlight before Ok HP pulled he over for no tag. No ticket just move the tag to the rear tag holder.
She was worried th plastic laminated paper plate would weather too rapidly. Ha!

Took the car around the block and OH My,....I do like my FE5 shocks...
After a block, i believe her struts & shocks need changing. They have a hex stud above the locking nut.
Is this a typical Monro setup..
The car wants to die at idle for me a couple of times.
No Error codes.
O2 and evap IM ready. Not Set......this is not looking good
E-brake handle not locking..... Following instructions on "E-Brake handle fix" posted on the sscobalt forum.
Cant find the info here.
Window tint on the doors too dark for TX.
New VSS in hand ready to install. I saw one instance of loose connection as the engine stumbled and died at idle.
We were sationary in driveway as the engine dropped below 500 rpm speedo slowly moved up to 40 and then back to zero as the engine died.
Cleaned the ground & 2 connectors on the bell housing as the very first thing. And will pull drivers wheel to inspect in the AM.

Coby7, opened her key fob. The battery holder was broken loose.
Cleaned the neg terminal with 90% IPA, applied flux to the battery holder and applied heat. Solder flowed well, no cold joints.
Cleaned again with IPA and gave it a new battery measures @3.3V. Ok lets give it a try......NO JOY!
Now i need to re-open, measuer voltage, and log the circuit.
Now about 8:30pm and pulling the e-brake handle for the jb weld as needed then time to relax for,some good old fashion
Sci-Fi ailians eat Washington while I'm sipping on an adult beverage. Or 3

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

Now 9:00
E-brake handle out...pawl was laying below wanting back in to be useful....we will allow him to rejoin the handle tonight.
Mid Oct @ 9:00PM and it is almost 80 frigginh degrees. That's 26C for those that would rather. And i still need a brew!

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

Now 9:15. E-brake handle fixes. Oh my what a GM joke. You know thise blokes must have a sence of humor.
Will re install in the AM.
Beerthirty now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Key fob trials

LC's LT, key fob

New CR2032
Battery terminals read 3.27V. +voltage to IC.
No responce from car with Al foil as horn contact. Going to need formal re introduction I guess.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Or a new button pad maybe.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Another one right for you Coby7!!!!
I pulled her VSS and replaced it. Packed Dow Silicon grease into connector and plugged in.
Speedo rock solid, responding as it should.

Entire engine coated with........sand/aluminum oxide. Defiantly lived around salty / sandy surroundings.

On keyfob. I took a small piece of foil to the horn pad within 10 ft from car...no joy.
I,have suggested to send it to some place in Ca. Told her i know a bloke that might turn it into some wizz bang thing-a-jig or something. Then go to amazon and get 4 model# xxxx. Take it to local GM and dont accept an offer over $65 to fix her TPMS & program her key fob.

Also ordered 4 plugs both O2 sensors. For both 08s. Hers has a slow O2. No errors posted, no data in history.
Yet, IM not ready for
O2 sensor. NOT REady......heated o2 ready
EVap NOT Ready. Allowed only 1 not ready for state inspedtion.
Also found out today she has 4 different brands of tires. Now this is after she was suppose to get matching tirer for her lexington,kt flat.

Also did R&R of her e-brake handle driving the ratching pawl. Again, thinking about it Ii still get a chuckle. They did have a sence of humor.

For the BC.
So,happy for those FE5 shocks,struts and LCAs
So happy, I place the order for the Intermediate shaft & sway bar bushings (24mm) to match the NOS 05 SS bar i found on ebay over at ZZ performance.

With that i must say thank you again,
and I am monitoring your electric window upgrade and bluetooth VCIM swap.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 08 Lt returned from Houston, the orig O2 sensors are now ready. The 08 LT has all IM monitors OK except evap.
I will let the LC get her state inspection BEFORE I replace her plugs & O2 sensors.
She still needs matching tires with one close to min tread.

I might loan her my 2 front tires while I swap the sway bar & intermediate steering shaft.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Tpms

New diagnostics have attived!
Thanks to Coby7 and his post http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/electrical/57497-how-install-oem-fog-lights.html ,
And his posts on the thread "TPMS Question" and a review of GM's "TSB 08-03-16-001B"
Sometimes if battery is disconnected for too long the RCDLR will go back to default. In default TPM is disabled.

When you had it at the dealer did they check to see if the TPM was still enabled in the RCDLR?

Last 2 items in the menu are.

TPM Indicator/Message -- Off
The scan tool displays On or Off. This is the state of the TPM indicator.

TPM System Enabled -- Yes
The scan tool displays Yes or No. Yes is displayed if the TPM system is enabled.

It is time to check the Tire Pressure Measurment System by checking the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR).

So i think i need to pull up
F0. Diagnostics
Down arrow to 2008 & enter
Passenger car & enter
Chevrolet & enter
A & enter. For product line
F1 & enter for BODY. Now i need to connect to continue from here
RCDLR
SPECIAL FUNCTIONS
TPM SENSOR RELEARN

Does this mean i can train any one and only one sensor??

For practice I took a look at the 2008 LS, my BC
While I dont have auto door locks, I did enable cruise & fog lamps.
Next is to check the LS and it's RCDLR.

The LT now has its TPMS & key fob working.
Not sure exactly what I did to get them enabled (TPMS) but they are tested & working........for a while any way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.