Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like the car, but sheesh are these couple of things frustrating.

Since about 15K miles, I've had a clunk in the LF over low-speed bumps with the wheel straight. The noise is low in the car, near my left foot (I use the 'dead pedal' for my left foot). When wheels are turned, I don't hear it. Dealer, over the years, has replaced control arm bushings, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, and has replaced the column twice. Not one iota of improvement. I see there's a TSB where they talk about seven possible causes of front end noise (!). Any new ideas? The car now has 61K miles and makes the noise on both sides now. Dealer told me a year or so ago that if it were a strut issue, they'd be leaking and they weren't.

Funny, in the cold weather it won't do it for a couple miles, but after the first big drop-down bump, with wheels straight--then it'll do it at virtually every bump. In the warm weather, it makes the clunk right out of the driveway.

Also, the RF radio speaker (right door) doesn't work. At first, it would come back on once every few days, and it came on a couple times after not working for a couple months, but now...nothing. I hesitate to put a new speaker in if it's a short or something.

My daughter has an '08 PT Cruiser and while it has gone through control arm bushings, the front end makes no noise whatsoever, with the same mileage as my Cobalt. All radio speakers still work, too, and I think no one would say a PT Cruiser is a top-notch car! Frustrating.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Front speakers in the Cobalt are crap to start with. I can almost guarantee you that it's the speaker.

As far as your front end goes take it to an expert not somebody that changes parts at random in hopes of hitting it on the head. Figure out what kind of noise. Is it a clunk type a rattle,a thunp, a scrapping noise. Because it could be a million things, it could even be something you already replaced. If you replace with OEM you can expect same problem if it wasn't good enough the first time.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Well it could be strut bushings which wouldn't make the struts leak. Have they checked the tie rod ends, steering rack and ball joints? Those could cause that problem too.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Welcome to the forum, auditorbill!

If you should have questions about warranty or recall information, or wanted for me to work with you and your dealership on anything, I'm available to you. Unfortunately I am limited in technical information (although it looks like the community is already out in force to answer some of your questions).

Sarah, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have a question for anyone that has removed their left front door panel to replace their speaker. (mine does not work either) Is there a procedure someplace explaining the steps to get the door panel off and has anyone found a direct replacement other than a GM speaker for the front speaker? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.