Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of suspension does the 2009 LT have? I have access to 2011 stock hyundai genesis suspension. Would the two be interchangable? Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Doubt it. Your LT would have FE1 or possibly FE3 if it's stock.

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
Hyundai Genesis and Chevrolet Cobalt are not the same car...not even remotely compatible (not even the same drivetrain layout).

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hyundai Genesis and Chevrolet Cobalt are not the same car...not even remotely compatible (not even the same drivetrain layout).
I was gonna go with a less blunt answer, but this is likely correct. Unless for some weird reason Hyundai used Chevrolet's suspension (unlikely), the Genesis probably has a completely different setup.

If you're looking for a cost efficient performance suspension, look into the Cobalt SS/TC's FE5 shocks and struts coupled with SSC or Canuck Motorsport springs.

Links to everything I mentioned:
- ~$100
- ~$100
- ~$60
SSC Springs - ~$220
Canuck Motorsport Springs (Same company as SSC, but supposedly a different spring design) - ~$180

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for finding the links Parthros. I just had access to Genesis suspension so I thought it would be worth confirming that I cant before dismissing the idea.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Gotcha, makes sense. Yeah, the design of the front struts is definitely different than the Cobalt's, and the Genesis uses rear struts instead of shocks, so those wouldn't work either.

If you do decide you want a performance suspension, the products I linked to should serve you well.

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
The Genesis is a mutli-link IRS setup...and a differential, because it is rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would Saturn Ion lowering springs be compatable with a Cobalt? I know a lot of the interior (such as the seats) are the same. Specifically looking at Eibach Pro-Kit for 2004 Saturn Ion. Parts for a Cobalt arent in abundance near me, and the Canadian dollar is tanking so I would prefer not to order online. Thanks.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they're the same. Can someone confirm whether that's right or wrong?

Unless you're getting a really good local deal, I'd suggest ordering the Cobalt set from Canuck Motorsports. They're the cheapest I've seen that have positive reviews.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I would imagine the Ion shares suspension setups with the Cobalt, but I can't say without a doubt.

Powell makes arguably the best handling lowering springs for this platform, and he's in Canada (Ontario). Look up his website for other great go-fast parts if you don't want to get screwed on exchange/duty/shipping ect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.