Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2009 Cobalt LT - Removing the Radio Entirely

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Coby7 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I have a 2009 Cobolt LT with no onstar. I'm planning to make a rather... extreme mod to my dash and starting with the center console. I'm going to replace the radio with another piece of equipment I'm making. I'm not going to be using the harness at all, and will be drawing power from the 12v lighter instead

I have heard all kinds of insane things about removing the radio and then starting the car. Everything from losing the Driver information center, losing the safety chimes, or even blowing the airbags if I turned the key. I thought this was a little much for just removing a radio and so I went and bought a Haynes repair manual for my platform. There I discovered.... lo and behold there is a 10v reference voltage (white/black wire) and a steering wheel control signal (Dark blue wire) that go though the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil.

Now the only controls I have on my steering wheel is cruise control, and I have no buttons for stereo audio. From what I'm gathering from the schematics is that the 10v reference goes out the radio, then into the airbag coil (which is an electrical swivel) and then goes to to non-existent buttons audio on my wheel. After that the switches are read (If I had them) and returned trough the coil again and into the radio to see what button was pushed.

My Driver Driver Information Center is in my speedometer and not under my radio like it is on some models.

I can tell I'm going to lose the chimes because my speakers will be disconnected when I pull the radio, but there seems to be a wiring harness I can get that returns the functionality (Which I'll be getting anyway, however, I'll actually be drawing my power from the 12v outlet)

So, if I pull my radio and don't replace it with anything, besides losing my chimes, what else can happen?

See less See more
#2 ·
Nothing if you don't chop the harness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.