Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will post this here since I can't do it in the recall section, but has anyone had the issue with the prndl selector breaking and showing the incorrect gear selected?

Here is a link to it>

14519: PRNDL Display ? 2009?2010 Chevrolet Cobalt & Pontiac G5 | gm.oemdtc.com

I took my car to the dealer when I received the notice late last year, but they refused to repair it since my car had 127,000 miles on it and the notice only covers to 120,000. Has any one had this repaired under the notice at the dealer with more than 120k on their car. That mileage limit is kind of bs on gm's part since the car was already 7 years old at the time of the notice. I feel this is pretty much a safety issue, but I have not had any luck with the dealer. Of course in typical dealer fashion they find an "issue" with the light for the selector and charge me $50 to fix it. Now the light is starting to flicker off and on. I know if I take it back they will want to charge again.

Also, is there a way to fix this myself?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Just take your time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I worked on this and the blender door today. The blender door I fixed with an idea I saw in a youtube video, zip ties. It makes the door stop a little sooner so it doesn't do that tap, tap thing. A couple of years ago I tried using a piece of that foam gasket for sealing doors. It worked for a bit, but came back. It appears to have fallen off. The zip ties should be a longer lasting solution.

My 09 has a boot instead of chrome ring. Once I figured how to get it all apart, I found the broken piece. I can see why the flimsy plastic breaks in these cars, it scrapes on the prndl display a lot. For now I fixed it with super glue and clear packing tape. It works ok, just have to see how long it lasts. I am sure that I will have to get a new one. I did not have time to look at the light since it was getting dark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the bulb for the prdnl selector, and the light still is out. Is there a diagram showing the wiring for the light? It would be nice to before I tear my center console apart again.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It is the same feed that supplies the bulb in the hazard switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.