Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Cobalt, and it is my first car I've purchased (aside from a truck I owned briefly via inheritance) and I love the car. It handles like a dream, it drives well, and it's decently fast for a 4cyl. The only problem is, I bought it from a buy here pay here for twice it's value. I have a 30 day warranty on the car, and I've run into a few problems. The VVT solenoid went out first, got it replaced. About a week after the VVT was replaced, I started it one day to an absolutely awful rattling/ticking sound. (Almost like a belt flying around in my engine or something) For the next few days, every time it started it would make this noise. I didn't drive it, no engine light came on, but I still had it towed to the auto mechanic. They assured me there was nothing wrong with my car, and it wasn't making any noise after they towed it. A few days later, I bring it back for a tune up, (rough idling and just a general list of minor issues with the car) and it runs fine. But lately, it still makes that awful rattling noise from time to time. Is it the engine or possibly just the body?? I'm not quite sure what to do or how to bring it up again because I have multiple times, but it just want my car to be in the best possible running condition since I'm paying buckets of money for it. Note: sometimes when I'm shifting from park to drive or reverse to drive, it shifts a little rough. Also, it still idles pretty hard and tends to make more noise when I'm running the AC.

·
Say What again!
6,326 Posts
Just for our own information, it's not low on oil, is it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, added oil to it recently and it doesnt need a change quite yet.. It's been to the shop a few times to get a diag to no avail. It only makes the noise every once in a while. I would add the file to this post but the extension isn't allowed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there, not sure if this could be your problem, but the ticking noise could be the timing chain is loose and if so, you’ll want to not drive it bc that is a full engine replacement if the chain goes. If you can hear the ticking noise and it is coming from the front of the engine, I’d have it looked at ASAP, especially if it’s under a 30 day warranty. I’m new to these cars but there’s a lot of info on timing chains in here. Good luck!

·
Say What again!
6,326 Posts
Hey there, not sure if this could be your problem, but the ticking noise could be the timing chain is loose and if so, you’ll want to not drive it bc that is a full engine replacement if the chain goes. If you can hear the ticking noise and it is coming from the front of the engine, I’d have it looked at ASAP, especially if it’s under a 30 day warranty. I’m new to these cars but there’s a lot of info on timing chains in here. Good luck!
This is a good suggestion - that is a known potential issue.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Man that’s sad to hear. I have a lot of customers over the years that have bought some real heaps from the buy here pay here, no credit needed kind of places. Usually really nice looking cars, until you really look at them. Lots of wrecked vehicles or stuff with shoddy repairs done. I don’t have a lot of money myself so I totally understand when you need a decent car.

Hopefully it could be something quite simple but a lot of folks here have had the timing and or balance shaft chain problems. I still have yet to do mine, almost has 140k miles on the car now. Parts are probably more than what I paid for the car. I don’t look forward to a timing chain job on this particular engine due to space in the engine bay. Have done some tight ones before though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a Cobalt, and it is my first car I've purchased (aside from a truck I owned briefly via inheritance) and I love the car. It handles like a dream, it drives well, and it's decently fast for a 4cyl. The only problem is, I bought it from a buy here pay here for twice it's value. I have a 30 day warranty on the car, and I've run into a few problems. The VVT solenoid went out first, got it replaced. About a week after the VVT was replaced, I started it one day to an absolutely awful rattling/ticking sound. (Almost like a belt flying around in my engine or something) For the next few days, every time it started it would make this noise. I didn't drive it, no engine light came on, but I still had it towed to the auto mechanic. They assured me there was nothing wrong with my car, and it wasn't making any noise after they towed it. A few days later, I bring it back for a tune up, (rough idling and just a general list of minor issues with the car) and it runs fine. But lately, it still makes that awful rattling noise from time to time. Is it the engine or possibly just the body?? I'm not quite sure what to do or how to bring it up again because I have multiple times, but it just want my car to be in the best possible running condition since I'm paying buckets of money for it. Note: sometimes when I'm shifting from park to drive or reverse to drive, it shifts a little rough. Also, it still idles pretty hard and tends to make more noise when I'm running the AC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts